94 4cyl to 4.0 swap??

Gerks

Hi fellow jeople, here's a question I have been wondering about for some time now, why. Does everyone say it is easier to swap in a V8 then it isto swap in a 4.0??? I'm not doing it I'm doin the 350 route. A friend of mine has a 94 yj that we just put a 4" lift on but he has the 2.5-4cyl 5spd I have another friend who has a 4.0/ax15 that he said my friend could have for free he just wants it out of his way, now I'm a welder/millwright, and my friend with the 4 cyl is a mechanic for city fire dept so we r plenty capable to do the work ourselves. So any input would b great thanks again

It's not necessarily easier, you just get a lot more jeep for the same amount of work when swapping in a v8. The v8 fits better, makes more power, etc. And with the v8 you end up with something a little more unique, not a run-of-the-mill 4.0L jeep with a hacked up non-factory engine install.

I'm starting a 4.3L swap soon into my MJ, got the donor blazer here already, likely put a similar drivetrain in my YJ.

I Kinda figured that was the case, I was curiuose since the motor/ transmission was a freebee he couldve made it a stroker cause I already have the 258 crank. He's not plannin on it being offroad only it's also his daily driver. Thanks for input

I have also been thinking of swaping out my 4 banger for a v8. Is it possible just to go get one from a junker car in a junkyard?what kind of problems will I run into when taking it out of a car and also when installing it. I've also heard that the 4 cyl transmission isn't built to handle such a big engine?

Gerks said:
Hi fellow jeople, here's a question I have been wondering about for some time now, why. Does everyone say it is easier to swap in a V8 then it isto swap in a 4.0??? I'm not doing it I'm doin the 350 route. A friend of mine has a 94 yj that we just put a 4" lift on but he has the 2.5-4cyl 5spd I have another friend who has a 4.0/ax15 that he said my friend could have for free he just wants it out of his way, now I'm a welder/millwright, and my friend with the 4 cyl is a mechanic for city fire dept so we r plenty capable to do the work ourselves. So any input would b great thanks again

Haha! "Jeople". I like it.

jasonmolinar said:
I have also been thinking of swaping out my 4 banger for a v8. Is it possible just to go get one from a junker car in a junkyard?what kind of problems will I run into when taking it out of a car and also when installing it. I've also heard that the 4 cyl transmission isn't built to handle such a big engine?

The problem with taking a motor out of a junkyard, is that you'll have no idea why it was sent there in the first place. You could just end up paying for something that is worthless. I wouldn't even attempt to go down that road. There's just no way of knowing.

Probly you're best bet ( in my opinion) would be to go buy a used 4 wheel drive truck that has the motor and transmission and transfer case and wireing harness if fuelinjected that way u got everything u need for swap and if anything when u buy it this way u can even drive it to make sure it's all good running order

I am a believer in V6's. I have V8'd many jeeps and I am sorry for doing it. I also have owned V8 factory CJ5's.
In todays world! Fuel mialage and performance! a V6 does the job very nicely.
weather its a old CJ or a newer YJ the V6 fits nice with room to spare. the swap is about the same as any swap for what you need to do and the gas mialage and power is pretty good!
A V8 is shorter than A straight 6 so you gain a little with a V8 swap, however they way about the same and you will get less gas mialage with the V8.
V6's just give you all the goodies!

That's what I think to bout running the 4.0, durability!! I know I'm doin a V8 but it's because I have one already and the drive train, but if u think about it a V8 every piston fights each other in opposeing force to drive the crank, now in a straight 6 they r inline with less resistance against each other and the amount of torque a 6 make compared to V8s per cubic inchs. That's y if I had to buy a motor for my swap and had the money I would stroke a 4.0 out to a 4.6 or what ever I could get out of it safely

I have had lots of chevy and ford V8's and chevy V6's push into 250000 miles and never cost me a dime. I have litteraly seen the V8's and V6's run out of water and run them hot an drun them out of oil when a pan gets punctured!
I grew up on farms and construction sites! don't knock these engines untill you have something real!

Calm down Sparky, I'm not knocking a V8/V6 they r great engines!!! They have been around for ever for a reason,,, but look at history of inline engines 2cyl/4cyl/6cyl have been around in tractors and everything else out there since pretty much since the beginning and r still running. Like I said I am myself putting 330hp 350(V8) in my own jeep so don't take what I said the wrong way

And by the way since u grew up on farms and on construction sites like I have u would also know that alot of tractors AND industrial equipment such as forklifts small dozers, and backhoes mostly have INLINE 4cyl's in them and don't forget how many of your major semi diesels r inline 6cyl engines that r used in heavy equipment like ur D9's and such and John deer tractors

But if you're going to be spending all the money on swaping engines you might as well get the biggest out there, right? At first I wanted to just swap out for a 4.0 6cyl. But then thought to myself if I'm going to be swaping engines why not just get the v8 and call it good

I agree that's y I'm goin with 330hp 350 but my buddy on the other hand, he was thinkin on doin that eventually, but we just put 4" lift on his yj and doesn't have much money, another friend of mine offered to Give him a free 4.0 with ax15. So since he is runnin 33s and a 4cyl I just wanted to c if there was something I was missing when all the ads I read said it was harder to do 4.0 swap then it was to do V8 swap. Trust me I'm sure we will sooner or later go to V8 but atleast when he does all he will need is an adapter to bolt it up to ax15 with an adapter bell houseing and axles ofcorse lol

How should I go about getting an engine? Buy an older car with it in it that still runs? Or just buy a brand new engine? Cause either way I'm sure I will be spending alot

If I was you jas, I woud go buy a 1/2 or 3/4 ton preferably chevy reck so u get the motor/transmission/t-case, wireing harness, computer, and any other small stuff u might need for swap. If u have 87&up go with 87& up chevy or fordso drivetrain lines up on left side pumpkin on front axle, if 86(cj) down u could go with 86 down chevy or dodge so drivetrain drops on right(passenger side) to line up with front pumpkin. Corse depends on if u want fuel injection or not also on what yrs u buy but that way u can drive it to make sure motor runs good and drivetrain is good

I had a 4.0 in a Cherokee once, 387000 miles when it blew a head gasket. and also cracked the head. fixed that ($1000) then 2 weeks later a dang tree just ran out in front of me one night and totaled it.. oh what could of been of that motor. :)

Back