94 Wrangler Engine Seized After Sitting For a Month

jaythebaron

Hi, I have a 94 Wrangler 6.0. I just returned from being out of town for a month and came home wanting to take a ride and found that my jeep will crank but the belt will not turn. I sprayed PB blaster around all the pulleys, alternator, power steering pump, etc. After waiting a while and then cranking it again I found that this didn't fix my problem. I took the belt off to find that everything turns except the alternator and the crank shaft (she was in neutral). My question: is everything suppose to turn freely if the belt is off? Any advice on how to get the lady purring again? Thanks in advance for the help!

Jay

The crankshaft is turning if the engine is turning over. It does not turn freely by hand due to engine compression.

The alternator pulley should spin easily by hand with the belt removed. You may have a seized alternator keeping the belt from turning.

what they said ^. there should be a nut in the center of the crankshaft pulley, you can put a socket on it and try to turn by hand to verify it is not seized.

Back