94 ZJ won't start in park

Mpinktattoo

I have a 94 grand cherokee v8 5.2 Laredo AWD 4x4 and it won't start in park but starts in nuetral.
When I put the floor shifter in park it's actually in reverse on the transmission. Don't know where to start if I can get some help I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Welcome to Jeepz.com , pink . :welcome:Sounds like you NSS ( neutral safety switch is working but sounds like somehow your shift cable is out of adjustment . You can adjust it , but you've got to pull your console or maybe just the shift bezel to reach the adjustment . Probably the console.
If you disconnect the connection from under neath the truck where the cable attaches to the transmission shift lever , both , shift lever in park and trans too , see if it goes right back into place . If al. Gears engage properly , then the NSS is out of adjustment I know the NSS on a cherokee aw4 is on the trans but yours should be on the shift lever , which removing the console or shift bezel will reveal . Cable adjustment is probably not it although it couldn't hurt to check , but the NSS adjustment should be checked . Hope this helps . Greg

Last edited:
Hey thanks for your reply. It does give me something else to check and make sure is correct. I did happen to disconnect the shifter cable at the transmission and manually put it in park and we were able to push the vehicle with no problem so I'm convinced that it's interal on the transmission. I'll be checking both NSS and the transmission. Thanks

So . With the shift cable disconnected , can the jeep be driven forward and reverse normally , all forward speeds shift ? Just now a starting issue ? Want to be sure that it is not an issue with the parking pawl in the valve body . If trans is ok otherwise , it seems you've narrowed it down to cable adjustment or the NSS itself. I'm leaning toward NSS . Please be careful climbing under the jeep to manually shift the trans with the engine running of course , we don't want anything to happen to our members . Safety first and always . An NSS for the aw4 is $$ , don't know what it costs for your grand . Hope you've found and fixed it and wasn't to costly . Please post when you can . Thanks for your reply . Wishing the best for you . Greg

Back