95 Grand Cherokee - Oil Pan

ke4peo

Hey all,

I was wondering if there was an easier way to change the oil pan on the 4.0 I-6 engines that doesn't involve jacking the engine up and removing a mounting bolt or two?

I can jack the Jeep up enough to get under to the oil pan, but I don't have the facilities to do all the engine bracing/mounting bolt removal. I was kinda hoping I could just get under, remove the bolts, slide out and slide in.

Basically, I've got a severe oil leak that appears to be coming from the pan gasket.

That i know of, no. There's just not enough room to slide the pan out with the engine mounts in place.

Just a thought. If it is a 4.0 it may be the rear main seal which is somewhat notorious to leak on these engines. Bad news and Good news(maybe) Rear main seal if I am correct is a one piece and cannot be changed probably without removal of engine and removal of crank. Possible good news. Check the breather tube from the valve cover to air box. If it is restricted in any way the 4.0 will build crankcase pressure and force the oil out the rear main. If that is the case replacing the restricted line may solve or at least lessen the leak.

I definitely know it's not the rear main seal. I had that replaced in '08 with some other engine work. Also, recently had the transmission rebuilt and they visually inspected the seal when the transmission was removed.

I'm pretty sure it's the pan gasket. Or where the oil filter is. :)

Back