95 jeep YJ 4.0 (cold idil smothering)

Ruf-Rdr

Just to clarify from my first thread. My Jeep was not on pimp My ride, what i meant was that we were getting bunch of new parts and redoing my jeep so that it would be a totally different ride. That said everything went great the jeep is a beast. Now i would like to ask a less controversial question ( that hopefully wont raise as much heck). I am getting a really funny symptom when my jeep is idling ( maybe the ideal air control valve?) it starts off fine then just as soon as the thermostat aprox. opens up it tries to die ( not enough gas, smothering kind of death) then the engine picks back up and idles fine for a bit. Does this for a while until the engine totally heats up then its fine. Im just checking to see if anyone else has ever dealt with this issue before i start throwing parts at it. 95 jeep wrangler 130,000 miles manual transmission, 4.0 liter any other info i can give to help in diagnosis would be no problem Thanks for everyone's help Mat idil

I had the exact same prob on my Dakota and cleaning the AIC valve and throttle body fixed it.

Are you sure it's not getting getting enough gas? Sounds like it could also be choking and not getting enough air.

I'd start by pulling off the throttle body and cleaning it thoroughly with some TB cleaner, like Cabin Guy said. Your problem is most likely caused by a dirty AIC valve or carbon/oil buildup on the butterfly, which in turn restricts air flow. Pretty much all Jeeps have the butterfly problem, it's a side effect of oil blow-by in the PCV valve. If it hasn't been cleaned since the Jeep was new I can almost guarantee you'll have a nice coat of black on the butterfly. TB cleaner will take it right off with a little elbow grease.

If that doesn't work, it's likely starving for gas like you said. I'd pull the injectors and make sure they don't have any buildup on them. Turn the engine over with the injectors hooked up to the fuel rail and verify that they are firing and misting properly. Also, check fuel pressure at the fuel rail when the engine starts to die out. If it's not the injectors it could be caused by a bad fuel pump, a clogged fuel filter, a clogged line, or trash in the tank.

Last edited:
Yeah you guys are thinking along the same lines as i though thanks for verifying ill try all the cheap stuff first off subject Sine Deviance thats a nice jeep how did you get the pic to show up every time you post i wanna show off my toy to :beer::beer:

Sine Deviance thats a nice jeep how did you get the pic to show up every time you post i wanna show off my toy to :beer::beer:

Thanks dude! The specs and image under my posts are called a signature. You can set yours up in your user control panel. At the top, click on 'Site Map' and then click 'Edit Signature' from the drop-down menu. Also, take consideration when making your signature; don't make it too big, it annoys people and is generally against the rules. As far as images in signatures go, general rule of thumb is no wider than 650 pixels and no taller than 150 pixels. This forum's rules are a little different IIRC, make sure you read the rules!

And if you want to see some more pictures of my Joop, check out my Photobucket albums:

General pics pictures by darkusedius - Photobucket <-- Pictures from early 2009.

Out of Body Shop pictures by darkusedius - Photobucket <-- Pictures from late 2009 with more mods and stuff.

Oh, and disregard those ugly orange pedal covers; I swapped them out for some billet aluminum pedals to match all the stainless a while back.

Back