'95 Wrangler 4-cylinder/5-speed. I'd like some advice on upgrades/parts/swaps...

Sine Deviance

Okay, so I'm still new to the world of YJ upgrades. I just had some general questions you guys might be able to help with :D

So far, I have these in mind:

*4.0L TB swap.
*Snorkel and SRI (I'll use the SRI for normal driving and swap it out with the snorkel when I hit the trails.)
*Electric fan conversion with switches/relays (I'm not crazy about mud and I want to get into riding rivers at Uwharrie cause it's cleaner, so this will be absolutely necessary. Plus the power gain will be welcome.)
*A complete performance exhaust system; I have no idea which one and I am fully open to suggestions :D I'd like to increase power through all RPM ranges if that's possible.

And here is what I want to be able to do with my YJ:

*Light trail duty (mostly dirt, a little mud here and there.)
*Light rock crawling.
*Vert climbing. I'll mostly be using 4WD Lo.
*River rides.

So yeah, basically I want my Jeep to be balanced and capable all-around. It doesn't need to excel at any particular task.

As far as upgrades go, that's all I really know. I frequently hear talk of swapping out the stock axles for Dana 44's or Ford 8.8's, but I must ask, what is the advantage to doing this? Is it just axle length or are these axles stronger?

Also, I'm pretty sure I have the AX-15 transmission. If I was thinking of swapping for something stronger would my best bet be the NV3500?

Is the stock transfer case decent or should I think about swapping it too?

Clutches. I want to get something stronger than stock, but not so heavy it'll kill the engine when I drive on the highway (keep in mind I'll be upgrading the engine a little too.)

Drivelines. I hear the stock drivelines aren't too strong. Any recommendations here?

And finally, any general engine/suspension/drivetrain parts you guys recommend that I didn't mention here?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sounds like you have a good start on engine mods, opening up the breathing (intake and exhaust) will do a lot to improve performance. Also consider Ford v8 injectors, got mine from a '95 Crown Victoria, they upgrade your stock single nozzle injectors to 4-nozzle injectors for better atomization. Then there's the Firepower ignition kit from Performance Distributors.

Your transmission is an AX5, a lot lighter transmission than the AX15 that came behind the 6cyl engines. You can upgrade to an AX15 using a bellhousing from a 2.5L Dodge Dakota. Otherwise there aren't many transmission options. IMO the AX5 isn't too bad with the right fluid, my used high-mileage AX5 has lasted a long time using Redline MT90 in it.

The stock transfer case is fine, just make sure it has plenty of clean fluid.

As for an easy reliable electric fan controller, check out the Fk35 at fan control , it's easy to install and is a variable controller so it pulls very few amps to cool the small 2.5L engine. His turnaround time is slow, but the product is well worth the wait.

A good reason to upgrade to the Ford 8.8 in the rear or front and rear Dana 44's is a stronger housing, stronger gearset, and stonger axleshafts. A front Dana44 also has the benefit of serviceable bearings and many affordable highsteer options. I run a Jeep Wagoneer front d44 and an Isuzu Rodeo rear D44, these axles give the 6-lug wheel pattern and disc brakes at all 4 corners. The D44's also allow much lower gearing than stock Wrangler axles, I run 5.38 gears with 35" tires.

Also check out 4BangerJP.com - Index for a lot of 2.5L tech and support from other squirrel owners.

I have 62mm Performance Throttle Bodies available for cheap if you're interested, just shoot me a PM or email.

Thanks BH. Speaking of 4bangerjp, I'm already there and in fact I posted this exact thread there as well :D But yes that forum is a wealth of knowledge.

I'll probably be buying one of those bored TB's from you soon, thanks for the offer. Just got to get some cash together. Buying Willis and keeping gas in him has left me pretty strapped ;)

Back