95' YJ Guages Stopped Working

callmebigdaddy

I have a 95' YJ and all of a sudden all my guages stopped working. When you turn the headlights on they light up but do not function. I was told there was no fuse for them is this true? And if there is no fuse where can I start?

i have a 93 yj and this happened to me, the cause for my problem was found on the backside of the dimmer switch, theres a ceramic plate on mine and somehow it shattered. im not sure if the 95's are the same but thats what happened with my 93.

pull the guages out, there is a bulkhead connector on the back that generally will loosen up over time, make sure it is pushed in firmly.

Thanks...I checked that. I did use a tester and tested my grounds by holding the ground on the ground in the connector and the other to the illumination and it lit up but when i hooked it to the ground and then touched it to the ignition and turned the ignition on no light. so is there a break somewhere in the ignition wire?

You touched it to the other end of the ground in the wiring and got no light after the first side tested positive? It sounds like yes, you have a wire issue. If I am understanding what you tested right

Sent from my iPod touch using Jeepz

You touched it to the other end of the ground in the wiring and got no light after the first side tested positive? It sounds like yes, you have a wire issue. If I am understanding what you tested right

Sent from my iPod touch using Jeepz

what I did is to test the grounds on the plug I put the ground of the tester into the ground slot on the plug and then turned the headlights on and then stuck the other end of the tester into the illumination terminal on the plug and it lit up which told me my ground was good so using the same ground I turned the ignition and instead of touching the illunination I touched it to the ignition terminals on the plug and nothing happened. I am thinking about splicing into my radio power and then to the plug to see if I get any power to the plug....would this be ok to do?

sure, i don't see why not since the sender is a resistor to ground and normal power goes to the hot side.

Back