95 YJ soft top Good, better, best...

Gohot

Looking through search here I came up with what looks like a nice top from 'Rugged Ridge' and with an option of Spice with tint. They also had the frame kit as well. I currently have a half top with a rear devider that fits to the uprights of the roll bar just behind the seats. It has a large clear window. This stuff is in good condition but........ it's not very water tight around the windows. Of course it's to be expected by design. My frame for the soft top that came with mine is 'ass' and looks like it's just about shot. I have a serviceable top, though I don't know the brand. But starting with an new top and bow/frame would be nice. Is this Rugged Ridge a popular item, and quality? I'm leaning towards answering that with a yes, but input would be welcome. I guess I could use a used bow/frame if I could find one in serviceable condition, not all hanked or shot out mounts. Anyone here with one for a good price, I mean an honest price. I'd be interested. I know that inquiry belongs in classifieds, but the 'gist' of the thread was about the 'RR' tops and their quality.

I've stuck with Bestop on my old '77 back in the day and I learned the hard way to keep up maintenance on 'em. Since revisiting my Jeep experience 5 years ago the spice top had seen harsh pumice dust (pumie dust we call it in Oregon) sun scorched and other crud without being cleaned or treated it was impossible to fit it to the bows. From the correct black Bestop I purchased the following year I follow the directions on the Bestop Clean and Bestop Protect bottles and this new top still looks like it's right out of the box. Of course I keep it garaged as well that certainly helps but after investing nearly $500 clams on it I'm taking no chances.

i had a bestop bikini top and i wanted an extended bikini top to cover hte kids, so i bought a rugged ridge model. i won;t do that again. it smells funny all the time and it doesn;t have the strap that holds the top tight so it really flaps and balloons up on the highway.

of course, now i have a softopper so i don;t have to worry anymore on that stuff

Well Best Top is good to know. Seems there are around three 'better' tops and I guess reading has brought Best Top up as the formost quality top. Thanks.

It sounds like you have the bikini, windjammer, tonneau combo. If you like that setup but want something more water tight you might look at the Rampage half cab tonneau combo. The rear window section can be removed (it's similar to the windjammer, window zips to all 3 sides of the top and has rear access like a windjammer) If your original soft top hardware is usable then this would be an option, and you can get it in spice color.

Rampage Cab Tops - JCWhitney

It can be found on amazon as well as alot of the 4 wheel off road vendors.

20fu812-1.jpg

Back