97 TJ 4.0 check engine light

jeepguy46176

Ok , so I have a 97 tj 4.0 and it keeps throwing a check engine light. I have had it scanned and it says cyl. 5 misfire. I have done a complete tuneup, plugs, wires, cap all that stuff. Still came back on. So i put in a new fuel injector and still came on. It runs fine, does seem to have a little miss when you first start it up but u really have to pay attention to notice it.I really dont know where to go from here . Here lately though you have to start it twice or it takes forever to fire. Turn the key just for a second ,let offf and do it again and it fires right up everytime. I am think maybe try a new fuel pump but am open to any ideas. Thanks for any help.

Nate

I do believe that once a code is thrown, it takes a certain amount of "key on/off cycles" before the code disappears or you have to take it to a shop to have the code deleted from the module. It's one or the other. Can't remember for your year.

Cylinder #5 Misfire Detected
What does that mean?

A P0305 code means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #5.

Symptoms

Symptoms may include:
  • the engine may be harder to start
  • the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
  • other symptoms may also be present
Causes

A code P0305 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
  • Faulty spark plug or wire
  • Faulty coil (pack)
  • Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
  • Faulty fuel injector
  • Burned exhaust valve