98 TJ Wrangler - AC problems

my98jeep1970

Hi Folks,
Got some AC problems. last Summer I noticed my AC compressor has been cylcing off after I drive for a few miles. Doesnt come back on until the motor is cool.. Anyway.. this summer I decided to turn the AC on again but to find out that the compressor is not even engaging at all. When it did work last season the air was cold.. but within 10min of driving the air would go hot... what should be my first steps for diagnosing? Thanks!

I've moved your thread to the TJ forum.

As to your question, Do you know if your belt is tight?

my98jeep1970 said:
Hi Folks,
Got some AC problems. last Summer I noticed my AC compressor has been cylcing off after I drive for a few miles. Doesnt come back on until the motor is cool.. Anyway.. this summer I decided to turn the AC on again but to find out that the compressor is not even engaging at all. When it did work last season the air was cold.. but within 10min of driving the air would go hot... what should be my first steps for diagnosing? Thanks!

I'm going to keep an eye on this post because the ac in my husbands 98 jeep is doing the same thing. If you find out please let me know. AC would be greatly appreciated down here in south Texas :)

have someone check your freon also. low or high freon levels will make the ac cycle to much or not enough also

I'd start with checking the freon level. Have an A/C dye intalled as well when you get it charged so the next time it happens, you can use a UV lamp to find the leak. Your system uses a 134a freon.

I'm going to keep an eye on this post because the ac in my husbands 98 jeep is doing the same thing. If you find out please let me know. AC would be greatly appreciated down here in south Texas :)
Oh c'mon!! you make us sound like sissy's here in Texas. Who needs A/C here at 110*?,lol.

i know i don't (ha ha ha). my ac has no evaporator in it right now. it was 98.3 on the thermometer while driving to work today in the jeep

Oh c'mon!! you make us sound like sissy's here in Texas. Who needs A/C here at 110*?,lol.

HAHA, Sorry, but I am a girl and I do like to have my hair stay in the place I spent hours getting it into from time to time. My husband doesn't see my issue with not having ac either. :) My son always tells me not to worry about it and that it looks pretty no matter what, so of course I can't turn that down haha :)

Hi Folks, Sorry took so long to get back.. Ok, I will check the freon level. And for @Stealheadz- my wife drives the jeep and if you have AC why not use it right? But good and funny point you have :D

Back