A Few Questions About My Redoing the Engine in My CJ7

carter262

Ok here is what I have. A wonderful 82 CJ 7 Lerado that I am completely in love with. We have been together for about ten years.

Over the years I have replaced, rebuilt, bought:
Best Super Top
Fuel tank
Windshield
Windshield frame
Transmission
Drive Shafts & Yokes
Headmen Header
Brake system (except for hard lines that run along the frame; that is coming)
Rebuilt the axles and redid the gearing with a 4:10 ratio
New 4" lift with 33" Super Swampers
Plus a few other accessories

Now I feel it is time to turn my attention to the 258 under the hood. So here is my plan. I am ordering a new one from ATK Engines. Before installing I plan on assembling the whole drive train outside the jeep. I had switched over to a T-4 transmission when the original T-5 died now I am going back to a T-5. I am also putting in a Centerforce II clutch kit, Flowkooler high flow water pump and high flow oil pump. Possibility, if $$$ permits, all new fuel lines, sending unit, and filters too.

So what I need so any tips or advice you guys can give me. I have never changed out an engine before and am a little worried I am getting in over my head, but due to not having unlimited funds I kind of need to do it myself.

I am curious about installing the new oil pump too. I read that you have to prime it before installing the distributor and starting the engine. How do you do this? Is is easy?

Thanks for the tips and help.

Last edited:
Back