A Grander Cherokee (Forbes.com)

LadyJeepFreak

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-mail | Print | Comments | License Reprints | E-Mail Newsletters | RSS

Vehicle of the Week
Grander Cherokee
Dan Lienert

DaimlerChrysler's new, 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee is almost here--but the company has not ironed out all the details of its arrival.

While the company said in a statement released in April that the vehicle would go on sale in the third quarter of this year, a spokesman said in a telephone interview on Aug. 9 that Jeep is only committing to "fall" as the vehicle's on-sale date, and that no estimated price is available for the sport-utility.

Jeep has made headlines recently for its radical plans to outsource labor. Rather than build the next-generation Wrangler SUV itself, Jeep will have suppliers handle 60% of the vehicle's production--that is, the suppliers will pay for the cost of tools and labor. While Jeep will build new Grand Cherokees for North America, as usual, at its plant in Detroit (one of the few car factories remaining there), a company called Magna Steyr will build Grand Cherokees in Austria for outside markets. Magna Steyr builds BMW's X3 sport-utility as well.

The most important addition to the Grand Cherokee is DaimlerChrysler's (nyse: DCX - news - people ) very powerful 5.7-liter, HEMI V-8 engine, which will be optional. Although Jeep has not announced the horsepower figure for this application of the HEMI, the engine makes 345 hp in the Dodge Ram pickup. If that figure carries over into the Jeep, it would mean a power increase of 30% from the current Grand Cherokee's top engine option, a 4.7-liter, 265 hp V-8. Jeep will continue to make that engine available, but will replace the base, 4.0-liter six-cylinder inline engine with the Jeep Liberty's more powerful, 3.7-liter V-6. A new five-speed automatic transmission is also available.

After the HEMI, the other main selling point of the new Grand Cherokee is its off-road capability. Jeep likes to emphasize this for credibility because it is, like Ford Motor's (nyse: F - news - people ) Land Rover subsidiary, a brand dedicated entirely to sport-utilities.

You want to talk about off-road chops? The new Grand Cherokee will have three different, optional four-wheel drive systems (rear-drive models account for about 25% of sales). The base four-wheel drive system uses a single-speed transfer case (the auxiliary gearbox of a four-wheel drive vehicle which transmits engine power to both axles simultaneously); "single-speed" means it does not have a shift lever in the cockpit.

Another system does have a shift lever, and a third has a serious off-road credential: An electronic limited-slip differential. A differential is a gear system which sends power from the transmission or driveshaft (the shaft which runs along a car's longitudinal centerline and connects the transmission to the differential) to the driving axles or half shafts, the rotating shafts which connect to and power a car's wheels. A differential allows the driving wheel to turn more quickly than the inside wheel during cornering, which prevents skidding and scrubbing the tires, and a limited-slip differential can lock the car's two axles together, forcing both sets of wheels to put out torque regardless of traction at the moment. If you're in an SUV with a button that says "Differential Lock," use it as a panic button when you're stuck in murky conditions.

Jeep has also equipped the new Grand Cherokee with a new suspension. The front suspension allows for a 13% improvement in wheel travel, a better sense of precision and control, more precise steering, a better turning diameter and lower vehicle weight. The rear suspension improves lateral stiffness to match that of the front suspension. This will also be the first Grand Cherokee to offer an electronic stability program, which automatically adjusts the brake and gas to keep the car stable in severe driving maneuvers.

In terms of looks, Jeep wisely chose not to tinker with its iconic vehicle too much. The design is dominated by Jeep's famous seven-slot grille, which is flanked by round, high-performance halogen headlights. The hood is proportionally longer and the windshield is flatter, lending the car a look that is more athletic, yet boxier, than the old model's. The car now has larger rear tail lamps as well.

The interior features increased headroom, a new two-tone instrument panel and several upscale, new amenities, including GPS navigation, rear-seat DVD entertainment, a Boston Acoustics (nasdaq: BOSA - news - people ) stereo, a hands-free communication system and rear-parking assistance.

Jeep has added a few important touches to the Grand Cherokee without dramatically changing the look of the car. The new model must be unified with the old as the Grand Cherokee continues its assault on the driveways of American homes with teenagers.

Forbes Fact
Because of the HEMI, Jeep says that the new Grand Cherokee will be the first SUV to offer cylinder deactivation during cruising and light acceleration. This will improve fuel economy by up to 20%.

How to Remove CJ7 Wiper Arms

Thanks for the info. I think many have been awaiting the Hemi addition to this line. Some of the other adds. are a little high tech for the dependable Jeep IMHO. MOre gadgets means more to break.
D

:roll:

Notice that they dont mention the IFS. And I hate to tell them, but considering how much bigger that thing is than the Liberty, I fell sorry for those suckers that buy one with the 3.7. (and yes, I have driven a Libby with one, my mom has an 04 Limited)

IMO, its just one more Jeep they've ruined. First the replaced the XJ with the KJ, now this. Kinda makes ya worry about the next Wrangler.

Nathan

I was looking at the taillights on the new Grand Cherokee and they are exactly the same as shown on the new Durango. I think it is not going to be anythign but a Durango with different nose. Another big down point is that like you said, technology in its earliest stages break often before they find out whats wrong and what needs to be different.

Jeep will continue to make that engine available, but will replace the base, 4.0-liter six-cylinder inline engine with the Jeep Liberty's more powerful, 3.7-liter V-6. A new five-speed automatic transmission is also available.

Did I read that right? "MORE powerful"? I have to look that up. :?

yup, rated at 210 hp and 235 foot pounds of torque. Couldn't find anything about low-end torque though.

There is no low-end torque, it's a V6.

It's not like they care or anything......but Jeep has lost the sale of at least one GC. Other than the fact that it reminds us of a giant cockroach, we love our 02 GC and we were ready to get another one when we ditched this one. Not now. If I wanted a Durango, I would have bought a Durango. And just personally......screw that POS wannabe Hemi.

The I-6 has been a staple in the Jeeps, it seems odd that they are really trying to force it out the way of the Cherokee... Maybe these things are getting a little long in the tooth, but they are still selling well, and people still love them. I don't know, I'm biased; I don't deal well with change.

This weekend...

So junk, explain why the V engines tend to suck in the arena of low end torque? I never understood that. It, the 3.7, puts out more HP. And the Torque is descent at 235. But of course they don't specify at what rpm's that torque occors.

It's not ALWAYS the case, but for the most part an inline engine just out pulls a V configuration of the same size. The common assumption is that an I6 will produce 30% more torque than an equally sized V8 with all other variables being equal. It's mostly due to packaging, there's no room for a really long stroke in a V engine, on the flip side there is no room for a really big bore in an inline engine. That's the biggest reason for all the significant diffs between the two configurations. To add to it, the new V6 is smaller than the I6 by a half liter. :? it would be physically impossible to naturally move as much air through that package as you could the I6 at the same rpm. I'd like to know what the peak RPMs are too......but I can't find them.

The old 258 peaked at 210# at about 1,800-2,000rpm. The 4.0 took close to 3,000rpm(I think) to match that number. Where do you think the little V6 will peak? I'll say it does that 235# at over 4,000.
If they had just skipped the redesign when they went to the 4.0, and instead opened the 258 bore up a LITTLE and added modern controls and more aggressive valve timing, then slapped that high-port HO head on there....... :twisted:

working for the local Jeep dealership they expect the new 2005 grands in late august to mid september and will carry a price tag around 43,--- thats so far some of the info i know about the upcomming events......... we have also recieved 7 2005 libertys

43K for a Jeep?
eek-2.gif

I'm wondering if I can get one of those "back seat DVD entertainment centers" for my TJ. Ooops, the back seat stays in the shed...............never mind.

I like the HEMI....would like it even more in my TJ. But does anyone know why DC is keeping the W and droping the J for a K on this new Grand (WK)? Jeep hasn't used all the letters yet.........

K-Phat said:
I like the HEMI....would like it even more in my TJ. But does anyone know why DC is keeping the W and droping the J for a K on this new Grand (WK)? Jeep hasn't used all the letters yet.........

WacK Grand Cherokee.

vehicles as we know them are changing, we need to start buying up all the good ones before others crash or destroy them! SAVE THE JEEPS!

Pulling this from memory but the 258 was a stroked version of the 232 I believe. Strokers generally make better torque due to the velocity of the charge entering the chambers caused by the piston speed craeting a larger vacuum. This packs in a better charge I think. Better breathing at lower RPM's on a stroker.
D

Back