? about 31's, 4.11's, and a 2.4L

TJorbust

Anyone with one of those pesky little 2.4L SE TJ's like me, running larger than stock tires, with the 4.11's? My P225/75/15 Wrangler GSA's are ready to be changed out, and would like to go with atleast 31's. Maybee in a few yrs when she's paid for, ill regear the D35 with a super 35 kit, and 4.88's. Or get a D44, but for now i have to stick with the D35 and stock 4.11's. Just curious if there is a great deal of power loss, My 04 SE is one of the first ones that came out with the 2.4L, NV1500 5speed, and 4.11's, and a 28" tall tire. Just thought i'd post, because i dont want to fork out money for tires that are to tall. Please Advise p0p

I'm running bfg allterrain t/a 215/75r15's and i love them. They have twice the traction of the stock goodyear wranglers that came on my '05 wrangler se, 2.4 6-speed. It is not recommended to put oversize tires on the small axles, d35, d30, because the added torque can break an axle. But, of course people do, so be warned. good luck john

Well, I don't think your '04 was one of the first......my '03 has the same drivetrain. I ditched the factory tires shortly after I got it and have been runnin' 31's ever since (125,000 miles). I can't really speak to the power LOSS.......didn't have much to begin with. You can do some minor mods and probably recoup the power difference caused by the tires. Personally, I don't mind my power band, although they wasted some weight puttin' in the 5th gear........I rarely, rarely, rarely use it. But she'll cruise all day long at 70-75 down the interstate in 4th (3000-3200 rpm). It's just fine off-road and I don't get speeding tickets on the highway!!;);):lol::lol: Another little perk with the SE's, besides the 4:11 gears, is the 4:1 transfer case (same as the Rubicon). My little 4banger'll crawl with the best of 'em!! If you search around a little on the site, you'll find a link BountyHunter posted to a 4bangers forum. It's a great site and a LOT of useful info for us 4popper owners.

Well, I don't think your '04 was one of the first......my '03 has the same drivetrain. I ditched the factory tires shortly after I got it and have been runnin' 31's ever since (125,000 miles). I can't really speak to the power LOSS.......didn't have much to begin with. You can do some minor mods and probably recoup the power difference caused by the tires. Personally, I don't mind my power band, although they wasted some weight puttin' in the 5th gear........I rarely, rarely, rarely use it. But she'll cruise all day long at 70-75 down the interstate in 4th (3000-3200 rpm). It's just fine off-road and I don't get speeding tickets on the highway!!;);):lol::lol: Another little perk with the SE's, besides the 4:11 gears, is the 4:1 transfer case (same as the Rubicon). My little 4banger'll crawl with the best of 'em!! If you search around a little on the site, you'll find a link BountyHunter posted to a 4bangers forum. It's a great site and a LOT of useful info for us 4popper owners.
Not meaning that just because mine is an 04, that it was (The) first yr, for the (SE's) with a NV1500 5 speed. It is (One) of the first SE's models before they started slapp'in 6 speeds in them. (LOL) I believe that, it i read it right, on some site, that some of the SE's with the 6 speeds came with 4.56's instead of the 4.11's. I know that even an inch more tire makes a big difference with the 2.4L. My Jeep had P215/75/15's on it when i got it, which are a 27" radious tire. And the P225/75/15 Wrangler GSA is a 28" tall tire, which went on shortly after i got my jeep, because it needed new tires then.

I could tell then the slite power loss with just an inch more of tire. I tend to keep mine around 2500 rpms, in 5th at 65mph, on thiese 225's because it starts to get thursty, when i hang around the 70 to 75 mph zone. I was just curious about how drastick the power loss would be if i jumped up to a set of 31's. :?|

Back