Abs

Jayare250

I have a 90 Cherokee with abs. I was wondering if there is anyway to get rid of it and have normal breaks. Right now every time I hit the breaks the abs pump kicks on and if I disconnect it the pedal just pumps up and I have to push really hard to stop.

Jayare250 said:
I have a 90 Cherokee with abs. I was wondering if there is anyway to get rid of it and have normal breaks. Right now every time I hit the breaks the abs pump kicks on and if I disconnect it the pedal just pumps up and I have to push really hard to stop.

If the ABS was working properly, you wouldn't be having these problems. Try bleeding the lines. Don't band-aid a faulty brake system.

It was like that when I bought the jeep. But once I'm done at work I'll bleed the lines and see if that helps

I have a 2000 wj with abs and after a very scary high speed crashing downhill descent I simply unplugged the connector going to the wheel sensors and problem solved other than the abs warning light. Driven it that way for 7 yrs with no problems

abs are normal breaks! You need to tear them down and see what the problems are. Sounds like they have air in the lines. Now if you mean normal breaks as in no abs Your making a mistake if you try to just disconnect stuff. So fix whats broken and dont Micky mouse it.

I have a 2000 wj with abs and after a very scary high speed crashing downhill descent I simply unplugged the connector going to the wheel sensors and problem solved other than the abs warning light. Driven it that way for 7 yrs with no problems
Unplugging the connector? Which I believe you mean the tone wheel senor and have no problems? What a joke. Do not take this advice! This is bad!. simply disconnecting something that you think makes it better is wrong. Example- Belt makes a noise disconnect it noise gone, But try to start the Jeep and see what happens. These parts are there for a reason. Fix the problem these are your breaks for god sakes.

Hope you don't have another accident. that being said, ABS breaks are better then no ABS for the simple reason that they control the breaking and tires will not lock up. Thats why they are safer to have. Locking up your breaks makes you skid and does not slow the car down from the forward momentum. ABS on the other hand slows the car down so the wheels wont lock and this actually will stop the car from a skid. Now go take your car for a ride without ABS and lock up the breaks, Measure your stopping distance and then repeat with ABS Ill be willing to bet your shortest stopping distance is with the ABS, And there will be no skid marks either.Think of it this way if you were driving in the snow and your breaks lock your going to still move forward. With ABS the tires do not lock and you will stop, This is why people without ABS have to pump the breaks in snow to stop. Not true with ABS that pump the breaks for you preventing lock up. They don't just make things better for the fun of it, They do it to improve safety>>>

Last edited:
Back