Almost crashed suspension help needed ASAP

DerekC

I almost crashed today. Steering was almost uncontrollable. Got home and saw that the pass side front shackle(factory) was collapsed forward to the frame section that sticks out in front of grill. This was causing my spring to be in contact with tie rod! What would cause the shackle to swing forward like this. Jeep was not/is not sagging on that side. New lift put on 2 weeks ago, 4" suspension(80 CJ7)I thought maybe the bushing is bad, new ones did not come for top section of shackle. I took everything loose on that side(pass. front and for the life of me cannot figure out what the problem is. I thought if it was the spring it would have been sagging on that side...really need help on this one, it is raining out and I want to go play in the MUD!!!
-D- :(

Happy Easter

the spring hanger looks ok corrupt. The vehicle would sag in that corner if the spring was bad wouldn't it?
-D-

Well here I sit...jeepless as it sits in garage...outta sell the SOB, knew I should have bought another hotrod instead!

RE: TFI upgrade, What is it?

that side isn't sagging now? if the shackle is not vertical, then that corner should be down

RE: Front Wheel bearings

The shackle is not verticle. Neither is the driver side. the driver side is at about 50 degrees. they were both like this up until the other day. then the pass side was forward and flush with the frame??? I am baffled. Am picking up new shackles tomorrow, but I have a sneaking suspicion the problem will not be solved. :(
-D-

saw on another forum that a guy had the same problem. It was the spring, it was also ruined due to being flattened and unable to flex. i have an email in Collins Brothers now to see if they are going to warranty it since i have only had it for 2 weeks!

-D-

Re: RE: Hitting the road tonight

well.. when i said vertical, i meant somewhat vertical... not completely plumb... if the spring end of the shackle is forward, then that part of the jeep will sit lower... if not, something is defying geometry

RE: Re: RE: TFI upgrade, What is it?

Well the only way for it to happen is for the spring to flatten out. It sounds like the drivers side is almost there too. You got some bad springs.

How long are your shackles? What kind of lift?

Well here I sit...jeepless as it sits in garage...outta sell the SOB, knew I should have bought another hotrod instead!

I've been there several times. You'll just come back to the Jeeps....then go back to the hotrods......then another Jeep......then, eventually you'll have a moment of clarity and realize what your destiny is......a hotrod Jeep! THEN, you will be happy......until you realize that a hotrod Jeep doesn't make the best trail Jeep......then you start over with a hotrod AND a Jeep.....but you aren't totally happy driving either of them, so you build another hotrod Jeep.....start on the trail Jeep.....and buy a future hotrod project car to sit around and make you feel better about the whole deal. Or maybe that's just me :?

Here I go again...
Go back and make sure the spring center pin is seated in the perch. If it weren't then when you hit the brakes it woud be possible for the axle to slide toward the rear of the spring. At this point the spring would flatten and try to invert the shackle.
If the spring center pin is resting in it's home then you obviously have a defective spring. Worn out bushings would make noise but not cause an inverted shackle.
Good Luck.

RE: lift for 88 wrangler yj

WOW so many responses and I am way behind on responding. So here goes.
Snitty, I, and the guys at Collins Bros. jeep are sure the spring is bad, they are warranting it, I pick up my new one on Tuesday.
Junkpile, yeah, I do love the Jeep, my second one, just frustrated. And yeah, I miss the hotrods, started building street/strip cars with my dad as a kid and have loved HP eversince...wife is wanting new car, Black with tan leather, she likes Lexus, I am leaning toward New Mustang( Add a paxton and gears and i am happy So sad new cobra is not out yet..she is the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ maker) Shackles WERE stock, went by at lunch and bought Warrior Brand shackles..really beeefy :) Lift is (GULP ashamed to say da ta da da..Rough Country. Did not know that till after I bought it, was labeled Black Mountain...crap yes, but wife wants a Lexus not me having a $1000 lift for something that is driven 3 times a month)

redrooster. All torn down now, will MAKE sure the pin is in perch upon reassembly..

-D-

RE: 76 cj5 rockcrawler for sale or trade

Anytime you see a complete suspension lift for $400 including shocks, there's a good bet it's Rough Country. This is not the first time someone posted about this happening to rough country springs. Seems like since they redesigned their kits (from 3" to 4") this has been common.

I would tell Collins you want a different make of spring. Pay extra if needed. Why go through this again?

Well they are replacing them so I will give it another shot. Should the problem rearise(knock on wood) I will fork over more money...have dropped about $2500 in the last month so play toy funds are getting slim. Have enough left for gears and a locker to come next month :)
-D-

Re: RE: Catfish basketball

Derek, So...let's see...was it them exhaust fumes that collapsed the springs, or the springs changin' the air flow characteristics of the Jeep thus producin' exhaust invasion into the cockpit? This may take more analysis than was previously anticipated. Oh yea, What's that ole sayin' about "bad luck or no luck at all" ?

Ginger or Mary Ann?

Good luck has never been a staple of my "how to get through life" trick bag...oh well, makes the day to day all the more interesting.
On a side note, my new wheels arrived today, shame I am unable to drive the jeepee to work to put them on...
-D-

I have read that thread before, but thanks for looking out for me. As the that person stated the problem was with YJ springs, which is exactly what the guys at rough country told my buddy at Collins Bros jeep, that ALL the complaints had to do with YJs. Now that said, i do drive a CJ and they had not had a complaint before, but they did say that when you are making 1000+ springs a week a bad one or 2 may be produced, I can accept that. My desire was to have the springs replaced at no cost to me, and they were:) IF, however I should have this problem again, which I do not think I will, I will just buy a set of springs only from a more reputable company. As I said and hate to admit, I am about out of fun money for a few months after dropping a couple thousand(not counting wheels that arrived today) in 3 weeks, so new springs out of pocket$$$$are a last resort.

-Derek- fingers crossed my springs are here friday!!!!!

Back