altenator question for those that run a 304

raser13

hey guys, new her and new to jeeps. this question is for the guys that have the '85 and older jeeps with the 304. i know that the stock alternators for the cj's weren't that large in the amperage dept. with all the lights, winches, and power extras that you guys have added to your machines that draw alot of extra juice that the jeep just wasn't designed to support what alternator do you use? do you have a stock amc alt.? or do you run a larger after market alt. that requires a new or modded bracket? or have you modded another manufacturers larger alt. to your bracket/modded their bracket to fit your engine? let me know as i plan to add some power goodies to the cj as i build it up.

I ran a 60amp alt for years in my 304 now I have a 360 and just changed it to a delco remy 150 amp from my local alternator starter shop $150. The reason why I switched was that I'm putting in a electric fan off a Taurus and a winch is coming soon. Alternator bolts right in with stock brackets. The extra juice will be nice.

The alt in your jeep now should be a delco remsy. If you are just adding lights I think the stock one will be fine but if you are going to add a winch, or both I would get a bigger one.

.......perhaps adding a second battery would be approapriate. In "Easy Bake" my black panel van, I originally went with a high output alternator, but from reading posts here and on other forums, it had been remared that reserve capacity is a very important element in running high amp draw accessories. I later added a 2nd battery with an isolator. Now in "Black Betty" I kept the stock looking alternator and added a 2nd battery, with a 'Stinger' solenoid style isolator, as I'm running a winch and dedicated the 2nd battery to it, the electric fan and lights. So far so good, although I've yet to get "Betty" in such a tight spot to need the winch, time will tell.

I'm running a 165amp custom built alternator on my 360AMC. I also have 2 gel batteries that can support 4 airplane landing lamps and a winch along with the other electrical loads like the electric radiator fan, headlamps etc.. The stock 304 alternator cannot support a winch and lights at the same time without causing havoc in your electrical system.

just a few quick follow ups. those of you running the dual battery set up. are you running them in parallel or series? what is an isolator and how does it work? where can i get one?those with the bigger alts. what if any mods did you have to do to make it work? i.e. did you have to mod the bracket at all? the pulley? get a different belt? upgrade the wiring to take the larger juice? and where did you get them from? thanks for all the help and patients with the new guy.

http://www.dfna.info/images/isolator-schematic-print.jpg. This is the setup i have . You can find similar systems out there from different manufacturers and get the same result. As for the alternator, I had to build my own brackets and mounts since i moved the original location of the alternator to the right side top where the A/C compressor was mounted. This was to keep the alternator from getting splashed and submerged in water when going thru water crossings in a creek bed. As far as the wiring is concerned, I didn't upgrade the size of the wire after running a few test on high loads, it passed the torture test. The alternator itself looks like it was built on a GM casing and pretty simple to wire up. A friend of mine who owns a NAPA auto parts franchise here special ordered this alternator specifically built for my use on the jeep. I'm sure you can find someone in your area that can do the same.

Back