AMC 20 .... Someone help please

JeepsterCJ5

OK I found this at Jeeptech.com....

Identifying the gear ratio of an AMC 20 is a bit tricky. Dana axles normally have a tag on the left of the diff cover with the gear ratio at the time of build. The AMC axles have a code that has to be looked up in a table. The code is stamped on the housing boss to the left of the diff cover right near the axle tube. Good part about the stamp is it tends to stay readable longer than the tag, but you have to know the code. Since there are conflicts between what a code means for a narrow track and what it means for a wide track, don't count solely on the code to identify an axle. Bring a tape measure or know the source of the part.

But I can't find the damn thing.. I'm not sure I am even looking in the right place... the tag is missing (of course) and I'm not even sure what I need to replace... when the tranfer is in @ it tries to move... makes some really rough noises.. and doesn't... is it the clutches?.. do I need new ring and pinion?.. HELP!!!:cry:

Well, I love that site, but it's actually to the right of the diff cover, I think. It's left of the right axle tube (looking from the rear). There should be a half inch hole where you can see the axle tube enter the housing. You'll probably have to scrape it with a screwdriver or something.

What do you mean "when the transfer case is in @? If the axle doesn't want to move, maybe your brakes are locked up. If the clutches were bad in your carrier, it would never lock up if indeed you have a Trak Lok rear, but it would still spin.

Whoops... the @ was supposed th be a 2.. as in 2 wheel drive....
the brakes are fine.... when it was off the ground the wheels spun like normal... once back on all fours... well that's when it wouldn't move and it made some pretty harsh noises... the ring , pinion, and spiders all looked ok.. I took off the rear cover..( and out came about 30 years of mud, water, and what used to be oil) but I know nothing about the AMC 20 couild the axle shafts be stripped?

You might have a broken shaft. My friends 79 CJ5 had a broken shaft and he put it in 4H and drove it that way for a whole summer. Those axles have a key in the hub but if I recall it's pretty big so I doubt you sheared it off. Any axle key failures I've seen ended up splitting the keyway in the shaft (on old Model T Fords). I'd pull the shafts out and have a look. While you're in there you can change the oil seals so you don't leak later (a common problem). Best of luck - John

Ahhh, yup. I would almost bet one of your rear hubs are out. I didn't think about that.

I have extra shafts and a hub if you are interested. They're narrow track and I have wide track so I have no use for them.

Did you figure out your ratio?

Yeah I tore it apart today... I need a new hub and shaft.. (and all the goodies in betwen of course)
If you have a set you want to get rid of I am definately interested.
I have to be money savvy since my daughter was just born on Wednesday morning..lol
How much you want for the hubs and axles on both sides?

I agree.. but the one pieces are really expensive for my budget right now
unless you guys know of some I can get for cheap lol...
Hooah!

Well, I looked at my shafts today. They're fine, but against all odds, they are wide track. I thought for sure they were narrow.

I can send you the only "good" hub I have for shipping only. I don't think it will last, but if you want it, I'll give it away. If you don't want it, I'll just make a tire carrier out of it. :D

If it's not your daily driver, I would go with bounty, save up, and buy a one piece. I looked at individual parts you would need, and this kit Original Replacement Parts 7070/71K - One Piece Axle Shaft Kit for 76-83 Jeep CJ-5 & CJ-7 with Model 20 Rear Axle - Quadratec is not much more expensive than replacing everything you need just for one side.

Sorry, I live way up north. According to Mapquest, it's a 4 hr. drive. I'll private message you with info.

Back