anti axle wrap designs?

So after breaking my second CV shaft in one year I belive the cause is axle wrap under extreme angles. IM lucky enough to have a fully equipped metal fab shop and experienced welders . My question is what design should I go with? I would like to not lose any flex and down travel. What are you SOA guys using?? How's the flex and down.travel??

How confident are you that axlewrap is the cause? The 2.5L doesn't have much power and you're geared pretty tall for your tire size, so it doesn't sound like much wrap can be created unless you're dumping the clutch or the springs are super soft.

ForumRunner_20130112_204233.png

This is a picture where she cut lose on me. as I was backing up out of this ditch and yes I dumped the cluch alittle to pick up the rear end out of the ditch. Notice how far the rear tire is pushed forward on the passenger side. as I backed up snow built up behind the rear axle and as I gave her some juice...pop. I figured I would be safe from axle wrap too but this is the second time the CV snapped once in the summer rock crawling on a extreme.angle and now today in the snow. If I make something to.hold the rear end from moving so much back and forth would this help?? These CV are getting pricey

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130112_204214.png
    ForumRunner_20130112_204214.png
    712.9 KB · Views: 498

Yes the CV axle is the right length what I belived happend is the axle got pushed forward towards the transfer case and bottomed out my shaft.

So as I think about this might mean my CV is to long. if my Jeep is on flat ground there is about 2 1/2 inches of the slide part in the CV showing. Is this not enough. should my axle was probly pushed 4" forward. Would this setup stop the axle from moving forward?

That sounds like enough slip splines . Remember that the driveshaft will stay the same length as the axle articulates because the pinion remains at a static height. It's when the suspension is entirely compressed (as in landing from a jump) or entirely extended (as in high-centered on the belly pan) that the driveshaft length changes.

Check the transfer case closely for cracks, the aluminum case can't take much leverage from an over-compressed driveshaft.

So if I install an anti wrap bar will this help the rear axle from moving forward and compressing my CV?

No. Your axle shouldn't be moving forward but maybe 1/2" at the most during its range of motion. A traction bar will prevent the pinion yoke from going up and down, preventing the pinion ujoint from binding.

If your axle is moving forward enough to compress 2.5" of a slip joint, there's something seriously wrong.

The axle did travel forward 2.5" if you look at the pic my rear axle was sunk in the ditch and I was heavy on the throttle in reverse. So I actually shoved it forward. I have good springs with AD a leaf in the rear. My Pinon angles are good. I think this was cause from operator error

Found this idea on Pirate4x4 for antiwrap. I.T. (In Theory) will not limit articulation.
AZALEA009-1.jpg

AZALEA008-1.jpg

Hope this helps for ideas.

Bacon

Last edited:
I wonder if it would be any better if that bar was something like a steering dampner. Do you think it would allow suspension flex but absorb any shock load like axle wrap applied to the springs.???????

The correct way to set up an anti-wrap is to have a connection on top and bottom of the axle. As shown in the pictures above with only a connection point on the top side of the axle there is still the potential of that axle having axle wrap.

While power and gearing can make it worse you will have axle wrap no matter what if the springs are to soft. Which is probably the case with your setup. The springs being to soft and no antiwrap setup is also the reason your axle is walking, you are bending your springs which is causing the axle to move forward.

On my old YJ I ran something like this and I still got spring wrap on certain occasions but it def help.
Jeep Traction Bar for Rear Axle CJ-7 and YJ from MMountain Off-Road (M.O.R.E.)

Thanks guys going to look at designs and come up with a game plan. I agree with you Dave soft springs and no traction bar is causing that axle to move forward. Wouldn't hurt throwing an Anti wrap bar in there would problem benefit me later when the 4 banger dies and u slide me a v8 in the old girl!! This may be a while 200,000 and still purrs like a kitten.

A friend of mine used to use the 2.5 in his offroad only YJ.....he couldn't kill the thing and it seemed to have great oil pressure no matter how many times he rolled it.

It will certainly not hurt, but if your breaking is NOT a result of axle warp, you will continue to have problems down the line...

Back