any transmission guys?

jeepjeep!

Ok so im back, iv been away from jeepz for a few weeks but i have a question and i dont know where else to post it. Iv searched and googled all i can so i rely on my jeep friends to maybe know, Ok so got a mustang last week, nothing fancy v6 automatic. 99 model. Its been driving fine until the other day i stopped at a redlight and when it turned green the rpms went up but the car barely, i mean barely moved. It revs all the way up to 4x and goes like 5 or 10 mph until all of a sudden it switches gears and its fine. All other gears seem ok, so my question to any auto trans guru that might be out there is. . . What the crap?! I found a used trans for $300 bucks but could it be an easier fix? Solenoid? Torque converter? Any help would be appreciative thanks in advance jeep friends.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120110_210031.png
    ForumRunner_20120110_210031.png
    652.8 KB · Views: 131

Hopefully you didn't drive it long. Once the clutches slip even slightly there toast. Check fluid level and condition. Is it burnt. Can you put it in manual one and it goes or man 2 and it move fine?

Yea i tried taking off in 1 and 2 it does the same. . Its been parked since then im off work tommorrow and i may check on the trans at the salvage yard, ugh i hate too tho but its cheaper than a rebuild

Yea i tried taking off in 1 and 2 it does the same. . Its been parked since then im off work tommorrow and i may check on the trans at the salvage yard, ugh i hate too tho but its cheaper than a rebuild
Did you check the fluid level? Thats the first thing to do.

Yes when i fist got it i checked everything, it was low so we topped it off at the shop, few days later we sucked a qt out and added lucas and drove it about 20 miles to no avail. I think its just out

I'll tell you a trick but I would only do it if it's your last option and you have nothing to loose and your gonna pull it out anyway. I used to work on a car lot when I was younger and when they got one in that was slipping they'd put a small bottle of dot 3 brake fluid in it. I've seen many that would hardly move before boil the tires off after. How long does it last? I'm not totally sure, like I said it was on a car lot and they either went through the auction or were sold after that. A friend tried it in his Chevy truck till he could afford to have it rebuilt. He drove it daily for three weeks and it worked fine. Like I said, I'd only do it as a last resort. May or may not work but may get ya by till money's not as tight. If it's a torque converter or something it wont help at all.

Ya that only works if it's a worn seal as it swells the rubber up. Won't make a slipped clutch hold or nothin.

I think its a clutch pack one of the disks is probably just metal to metal, found a used one for $300 bucks with 90k or i can rebuild mine for $1660 i think ill gamble and opt for the used trans for now

Back