Anyone heard of a "cured gasket"

Spud

According to the Chilton Manual for a 1992 YJ 2.5ltr engine the cylinder head cover has a "cured gasket" which is part of the cylinder head cover. Chilton says that if the cured gasket is missing that I must replace the cylinder head cover.

I know that when I removed the cylinder head cover there was no "cured gasket" as it had the gasket goop stuff all over it. Do I really need to replace the cylinder head cover or does a replacement gasket cover this?

It looks like goop. Someone may have tried to goop it up but it rarely works. I spent the 145 bucks and replaced mine and it sealed so far.

I think cured gasket is just another way of saying; RTV, silicone, Gasket in a tube, ultra blue, ultra grey, Permatex, and any number of gasket making compounds that come in a tube and you squeeze onto the surface and allow to cure in order to make a good seal.

Last edited:

a cured gasket is a hard carbon type material there more of a head ache than there worth they always leak because they crack , replace with a standard fel-pro gasket

Thank you all or your help! It is much appreciated.

Back