Anyone know anything about beadlocks?

Craig

I was just wondering if beadlocks can be added to any wheel or if you have to have special wheels designed for beadlocks. Do they have to be welded on, if so, do you have to have steel wheels? How do you get the tire off a rim with beadlocks? I have 15x8 American Racing Wheels (Aluminum) and am trying to decide if I should keep these for my street wheels or use them for my off road wheels when I buy my swampers. I want to have beadlocks on my swampers and they won't be used on the street (too expensive and wear out too fast to be driven on the street).[addsig]

I THINK you have to buy a special rim with them already on. Im pretty sure that you can't add them to any wheel, but im not 100% on that. I'm sure somebody else who knows more than me will come along and give you a definite answer.

TARSI
[addsig]

from what i've read, i think they're special WHEELS AND TIRES... that are BOLTED TOGETHER.[addsig]

Yup you are 100% correct. Beadlocks Need A special wheel / Beadlock flange combo. Great deal.....air down to 5 psi or so and don't have to worry about busting a bead off the rim.

Can't remember the costs that I have seen but I do remember that they were very resonable.

FWIW,

[addsig]

NO NO NO, you can get the locks that you can then put on rims. blue torch they also have some cool jeep pics that they have built on that site[addsig]

well hell, just went to the site to find them and i must have forgot where i saw them at... but they are made, you just weld (i think) the ring onto your existing rim and then bolt the outter ring on top of the tire to lock it[addsig]

Ok, I just got back from my local off road shop and here's what they said.....A lot of the beadlock wheels that you see advertised in magazines and in pictures on peoples vehicles are not real beadlocked wheels. There is a lot of knock-off's that look the same but do not perform the same. Some are just an outer ring that attaches to the wheel once the tire is on. The real beadlock wheels are kind of expensive too, they go for around $400. Canadian each which is about $300 each in American dollars...I think.[addsig]

Check out Item # 2406042047 on ebay. It might help. [addsig]

Just carry an air tank too put your tires back on the rim if you blow a bead. Plus bead locks are not legal for the street leak air are a pain the the gashole there are some new street legal versions but are also a pain.[addsig]

Not too recently, I read in petersons off road, Bead locks can be purchase in either steel or aluminum and welded to a wheel of similar material. The thing is, the article states " be aware, not all bead locks are for 4x4, some may look like they are for trucks and are inexpensive, but in actuallity are for drag cars and bdo not offer the same type of airing down protection". In this article they welded an aluminum bead lock onto a 16.5x10 weld stonecrusher (assuming it was for a f350 or something, 8 lug design)[addsig]

Check out JP magazine, this month's issue has an article about beadlocks.[addsig]

Back