As I type, the words slowly appear

I would have to put in my two cents worth here....
I disagree with the AMD issue. The AMD chip is a fine gaming chip but lacks the co-prossesing power of a full pentium chip. You look at all your heavy graphic design places and you will not find a AMD in the shop...to be in fact you wont find a pentium either... darn Mac's....lol
At most large engineering firms they soley rely on Pentiums to power 3D graphic's of CAD/CAM programs. These programs rely soley on the Pentiums co-prossesor to do the mathmatical equations needed in 3D rendering.
I have yet to see a AMD do this.
I have had both AMD's and Pentiums and will never go back to to an AMD.
Now that I have opened a can of worms I will run and hide while the fur flies....hehehehe

Now bryanjeep first what OS are you currently running?
If we know what windows you are running I can send you to a site thaqt has instructions on how to shut down programs running in the back-ground that you really dont need at home...that should free up alot of reasources.

At most large engineering firms they soley rely on Pentiums to power 3D graphic's of CAD/CAM programs. These programs rely soley on the Pentiums co-prossesor to do the mathmatical equations needed in 3D rendering.

Most companys use intel because it is a large company and backed by years of serice. AMD is smaller, can't handle the amount of things intel can.

I've used intel and AMD processers and will never buy another brand. AMD is if you ask me a more thought out processer that doesn't worry 100% about Mhz. Intel are good, many of my friends run them with no problems at all..this is one of those things that are personal preference. But for the money, AMD offers great quality.

As for video and sound editing...I don't think anyone will disagree MACs are king.

I already went through the start up thing where you can select what runs when you start up. I had a lot of stuff that I had to deselect and stop from automatically running. We have Windows Me. So are you guys saying go to linux for now on?

I already went through the start up thing where you can select what runs when you start up. I had a lot of stuff that I had to deselect and stop from automatically running. We have Windows Me. So are you guys saying go to linux for now on?

Windows ME! there is your problem. upgrade!!!!!!! Worst OS EVER!

I say stick with windows if ya play games and stuff, linux doesn't have many patches and things..well atleast, i can never find any. I'd run a dual boot until you get use to linux.

LOL. This post is evolving into a computer hardware debate!
image-missing.png
There's really no way to win it though as everyone has different experiences using the products. All I know is that it's AMD and Linux for me :p

-Nick :!:

bryanjeep said:
So are you guys saying go to linux for now on?

That's only a decision you can make. I've already come to that conclusion, due to the facts that Linux is free, Linux is open-source, I don't have to spend more time restarting it than using it, I dislike Microsoft Software, etc, etc... Although I do voluntarily pay for Linux by being a member of the Mandrake Club, as I believe the money is well spent towards future Linux developement and releases.

Mingez , about your comment about command-line systems; It is important to know that they are worth learning how to use. In the case of MS-DOS and windows, you never really needed to see or use DOS on a daily basis. Linux however is a commnd-line based operating system (as is unix). This is why you have KDE or GNOME as the GUIs in Linux... because Linux by itself uses NO GUIs.

Yes, you can use Linux just fine if you only use the GUIs. But if you want to really understand how Linux works you'll want to learn the shell commands. I'm not saying install Linux and try to use the terminal your first time, but instead use the GUIs, get familiar with them and Linux itself, then investigate using the terminal (Konsole in Mandrake Linux). I like doing stuff using commands in the terminal, because it's neat to be able to control EVERY aspect of the operating system from a text prompt :mrgreen:

Also, the book Linux for Dummies is a great resource for terminal command help.

L33TJ33P said:
without the BS and inefficiency of Dos

Whoa Whoa Whoa home slice , , , you tell me ANYTHING that isn't a DOS or NOS and I will show you a computer that doesn't work. Pick and choose your DOS (Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, HP-UX, etc etc) but they are ALL DOS.

;) had to catch you on that one dewd. If you want to talk Processors though I will deffinantly have to go with Intel XEON. Blows AMD out of the water.

Oh, ya' see, you learn something everyday. I don't profess to be a computer guy so forgive me. Linux is just an OS for DOS...got it.

So, forgive my ignorance, but I thought that "Linux" was to DOS as "Unix" and "Mac" were to DOS, a different platform (correct lingo?) So, linux is simply a DOS interface. Hmmmm.... I did not know that.

So, correct me if I am wrong, but UNIX and MAC are not DOS based...right?
:?: :?

East TN - West NC........'bout the same?????

O.K. - my 2 cents. 1st off, love the Microsoft/Gates quote - couldn't agree more. I'm runnin' an AMD because I'm a cheap-a*#. My main problem is that I miss my cable modem/internet! I live in the North Carolina mountains and have only a lame phone line.......can't keep up with y'all. My cable company first promised digital December 29th......now it's sometime in June.......hopefully I'll have it by July! I've always been told "patience is a virtue"! Hey, I live in the mountains - the trade off is worth it!!!
Peace to all, and don't get any mud on your motherboards!!!

Mud4feet

Mother My I!

bryanjeep said:
Seems like you need to spend at least a grand to get one that works descent.

I bought the cheapest computer on the market (Emachines POS) when I bought this one new 4 years ago. It is 566mhz!!! only a 7 gig hard drive! I upgraded the RAM (was only 32 mb - added a 256 mb chip) the day I bought it.

I have no spyware, limit storage of music and pictures to save the hard drive space, and use "Ram Def" to manage my memory, and I am very careful about what programs run themselves at startup. Toss in my DSL and she smokes! Ok, well "smokes" may be quite a stretch, but pages load quick, typing is never slow, and she never locks up.

some programs you may want to consider are:
Ram Def: http://winshell.softnews.ro/ramdef.php

Startup control panel (excellent!) : http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Lavasoft Ad-Aware : http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

I realize that this setup would be a complete TURD for most folks, but it works great for me. I won't buy another computer until this one dies or just can't keep up anymore, and that could be quite a while. When I do buy one, it will be another cheapie.

Hi,

Mingez, the main problem here is that Linux/unix doesn't compare well at all with MS Windows due to major design differences.

First off, Linux is an operating system based on the UNIX platform. Thus, for the benefit of comparison , Linux is Unix, but a modified form.

Next, you need to remember that DOS stands for Disk Operating System. Yet, when one mentions the word DOS, most people would assume you mean MS-DOS (Microsoft DOS), the command-line OS behind Windows 3.1/95/98/ME (not really XP, though).

Now, Unix (and Linux) *could be* compared to MS-DOS in that they are all command-line based OSes. However, Unix/Linux far exceeds the capabilities of MS-DOS, which is why I'm barely willing to even compare them.

Then we have the MacOS. The MacOS was traditionally the MacOS. However, when Apple released MacOS X, they used a modified form of Unix. Thus MacOS X is Unix with a mac style GUI and some other modifications.

Also, I suppose you could say Windows is to MS-DOS as KDE is to Linux... but that wouldn't be completely correct since Windows is an OS (and can function without MS-DOS) but KDE cannot function without Linux (KDE is simply a GUI).

Let me try to sum up what I just said:
> Linux = (based on) Unix
> MacOS X = (based on) Unix
> Unix, Linux and MS-DOS = Command-line operating Systems
> Linux w/ a GUI (like KDE) is to Windows as Linux w/o a GUI is to DOS

As a last note, there are far more operating systems than just Linux and MacOS X which are based on Unix.

Hope that made some sort of sense :mrgreen:

oops - forgot to mention I upgraded to Windows XP. ME is garbage. A guy I know who works for microsoft told me that it was so bad, they didn't bother with patches, they just dumped it. You should do the same. If XP works on my cheap machine, it will work on yours!

bryanjeep said:
my system resources are at 81% right now. That is good. That shouldn't slow my computer down at all.

If you download, install, and run those free programs I posted and you'll do better than that.

My new Alienware was starting to slow down, then even while I was not "on" the net I was getting pop ups. The slowing down was a major problem since I have so much ram, psycho video card, huge hard drive and it's over clocked. I ended up with major spyware. I used spy-bot to find the folder and kill the spies. Now the mean green gaming machine is back to normal

My wife says "bigger, BIGGER, BIIIIIIIIIGGER!!"

Computer=like Jeep... Buy the parts you want, put it all together yourself, then you can say: this is MY computer. I'm living with 4 of my best friends, we all built our own, networked through the house and on cable broadband... I've been down the buying path before; for my purposes, really did not need the extra software that adds onto the price so much... My comp was about a top of the line AMD when I built it a year ago, cost me $600.00 :)

My comp was about a top of the line AMD when I built it a year ago, cost me $600.00

Ayep, same here, when ya feel its acting slow, ya upgrade. simple. Then you waste money on other things for it like i did...water cooling my system...why? i dunno, cause i can.

I wanted to do that, didn't have the cash. Would've been cool, though. Instead, just set it next to the A/C vent.

yeah, it lets it run a little cooler and 10 times more quiet, and thats nice. All and all, it mainly looks neat.

People over 30 should be dead

Hi,

I've never done water cooling in the computer. The quiet from not having fans would be nice but water in my computer would worry me.

What I've done instead on some of my computer's case fans is install around a 100 Ohm, 1/2 watt resistor in the +12 volt line to the fan. Makes them much quieter but they still blow alot of air. Of course these were just case fans, you'd likely NOT want to try this on your processor fan unless you want burnt chips.

Mmmm.... Burnt chips :mrgreen:

Back