AWD lift question

97zjnoob

I have a 97 GC limited with the 5.2 and awd trans case. Im looking to do about a 2 inch lift and have noticed that most of the lifts im looking at suggest that they not be used on the Awd models. Is there a reason for this or are they going to be ok to use? Ive looked at spring spacers and full suspension lifts. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks guys!

My guess is that the AWD models use true CV style driveshafts and are more prone to driveline vibes and premature wear when lifted. The part-time 4wd models use standard ujoint style driveshafts.

That makes sense. I didnt really think of it that way. I just figured since theyre solid axles that they'd be ujoints. But do you know if just a two inch would cause issues like that?

Edit; i just saw you said drive shaft not axle shafts.

Thanks for the link! That teraflex lift looks like a good buy. Will i need to buy 2inch lift shocks as well? Or can i just buy normal shocks?

Ive also read that i can use 3.5inch lift tj coils upfront and use my stock front coils on my back for a 3 inch lift? Is there any merit to that?

I did that to my brothers zj... Put my his front springs in the back and put an old spaced off my xj on the front. If worked just fine

^ sorry put my old front work.hd from my xj on the rear and put my old spacer on the front

Non at all. We drove it from southern cali up to Idaho with no problems

How much lift did you get out of it? And are there coils i can get, say off a pickup in the junkyard that will lift the jeep as well? I know itd stiffen the ride, but thats ok with me. I dont need much articulation off road

The stick front springs moved to the rear will give about 3 inches. I've heard of some junkyard springs but don't know off hand. Search Google for it

Back