Axel Tube Seal installation question

M G D

Wrenching on my '93 2.5L YJ 5 speed with a vacuum shift axel, current project started out to r & r leaking axel seals. I've got the axel's pulled & working to get the dif' out but now have question about possible Axel Tube Seal upgrade. At end of axels before u-joint assembly there's a plastic ring that I suppose is the stock attempt @a tube seal... since I'd like to install greasable after market tube seals can I bust originals off or should I slide them down & off? It appears that at least the passenger side axel splines are too big to allow it to slide off which if true is a puzzler cause If those splines are as large as they appear how the heck will they slip through the desired upgraded Axel Tube Seals? Am I seeing a problem where there isn't one? Havn't miked anything just going buy eye on this one. Thanks for any insight you can give me.

I think the tube seals you want to install are not available for the YJ for that very reason.

You can upgrade the PS axleshaft to the 1-piece from a TJ or XJ and use the tube seals.

I don't think you reuse those old plastic dust covers with the new seal, wouldn't see why you couldn't break it to remove. Are you going to have the same issue sliding the new ones on?

NOTE: Will not fit 87-95 Wranglers with O.E. front disconnect. Will fit 87-95 Wranglers that have upgraded to one piece axles. Will not fit 93-98 Grand Cherokees with CV style axles.

Shoot Bounty Hunter your right again.. next time I'll read the small print. Any tricks for keeping my tubes sealed up against grit etc? And is that hard plastic disk suppose to pass as the oem axel tube seal?
God bless our military men and woman and thanks for your help.

yes, polish the seal surface. I like to start with a 150 grit sand paper, then 300, then some 3M scotch bright. you really just want to knock any rust off, then I put a very liberal amount of bearing grease on the seal surface and shove it all back into the axle tube.

Thank you for the tip. I'm really green so the "seal" you'd clean up and coat with grease is the plastic disk affixed to the axel, is that what passes as the OEM axel tube seal? Took the dif' out this evening, it came out super easy... as soon as I noticed to push the remaining piece of axel towards the passenger side clearing the dif' to come out, well wrench and learn. Thanks for any follow up you have time for.

The plastic dust shields only keep out the large muck, there are inner axle seals that keep the diff fluid in and the gunk out.

Got it, the plastic disks's are only dust cover's and not a seal so what's Johnny mean by polishing the seal surfaces? The axel seals will get knocked out and replaced so which seal surfaces could get polished?

"....polish the seal surface. I like to start with a 150 grit sand paper, then 300, then some 3M scotch bright. you really just want to knock any rust off, then I put a very liberal amount of bearing grease on the seal surface and shove it all back into the axle tube.

He's talking about the inner rubber seal that seals tightly against the axleshaft to keep the gear lube inside the diff.

i find its best to use a good 4x4 piece of wood, long piece of allthread, 2 nuts and and washers, as well as a washer thatg will will fit the outer edge of the seal, the seal has to be put in the vacuum motor housing hole and pulled outward towards the wheel.

Ok, hey guys thanks for all the solid info helping to answer my newbie questions. My next step tomorrow is knocking out the old axel seals then it's clean up of much dirt & 90wt before put back together time. Is Brakekleen and a brush the perferred means of cutting through caked on muck, anything more effective?
If you can think of any other helpful hints or "how to's" please don't hesitate, it's all appreciated. Thanks. MGD

Back