Axle Help

LRwrnglr

Well I have big plans for my YJ including a new motor, trani, and transfercase. But the biggest that I need help is the suspension. As of right now I have 2" shackles and a 1" body lift. I plan on purchasing Skyjackers 4" double military wrap springs and an SOA. So that adds up to roughly 9"? So I was hoping to run 37's. But............I don't know a lot about axles that I can swap in. I've read in some magazines of guys putting D44, D60, and Rockwell. I can't afford anything too pricey, probably a junked out vehicle to steal axles from and rebuild from there. But I don't know what to vehicle to go with and what axles. My YJ is going to be an almost strictly offroader, maybe the occasional cruise around town. So I was just wondering what everybody would suggest for axles and vehicles I could get them off of. Thanks

LR

I'm (kinda in the same boat) 9" lift is a little tall and the set your talking about will actually be like 10-11" .IMO go with either RE 1.5" SOA springs or even better put on rancho 2.5" springs for a waggoneer. They will give you a couple inches in lenght and are stronger and will hold up to the axlewrap you get from SOA. With that you can clear up to 38's. As far as axles either go late 80's waggy F/R D44(dont get the rear 20) or get some late ford 1/2-3/4 ton D44/D60. Thats kinda big though. Dodge is another option but they're alittle newer and more $$. I got mine from a waggy and it is not that hard to setup and so far they're holding up to 36"s.......

Ok, So you're suggesting that I go with a 2-2.5 or even 1.5 springs? and get them for a wagoneer, or whatever springs i end up with?? that makes sense, a lot more sense. So how do your order an SOA?? what is the best company that provides?? and do I order by the axle or vehicle?? that may sound stupid but I think you get what I mean. Thanks

LR

Before everyone gives advice on axles....What engine are you planning on installing? Bigger engine will get you advice on bigger axles.

I'm plannin on a for 5.0 and putin some performance parts on it for more HP.

LR

Hell a stock ford 9" with gears and lockers or a welded diff would be no problem for the rear end and they go for cheap up in minnesota, the front you could find a wagoneer dana 44, or a dana 44 out of an international scout but if you get a scout axle you might as well swap in the scout rear dana 44

At least a 60/44.
A friend of mine runs a modified 5.0 with something like 24# injectors and a few other mods on his CJ7 with ton axles and 42's. It will straight get with the program. Those engines are very impressive in Jeeps, escpecially if you have the gearing behind them.
I would cast a vote for a 60 front/70 rear if you plan on using the skinny pedal.
image-missing.png

Same color as mine.

The safe bet here is 60/70. The 5.0 will be pushing the D44 to its max even though its up in the front and will be running part time.

Ok, so as of right now I'm kinda pullin towards the 9in. But......I'm curious about the 60/70. So would I most likely find those on larger pickups? I know that Ford runs 60s on some years. and I would most likely have to have them shortened right?? So If I do go with the 9in. in the rear would I want the Dana 44 up front?? Sorry I'm askin a lot of questions. Thanks

LR

a 44 up front and 38s is asking for trouble unless you got about 2k to drop into shafts and joints, ask me how i know.

60/70 would be found in a Ford F350 for Driver Side Drop.
Can be found cheaper and slightly narrower in older Dodge one tons. Dodge will have passenger drop front.
Your choices depend on what transfer case you run.

Well thats another issue is the transfercase. The only one I've thought about is the 231 but if there are any other options I would be all ears. Thanks again

LR

If you are going to swap the transmission then you may as well swap transfer cases too. A good combo for the 5.0 would be an NP435 4 speed and a Dana 300 case. Then you will have the passenger drop and can run the Dodge or Chevy ton axles.

If your gonna swap the transmission out, go with a 435 for a stick or a C4 for an automatic. You can bolt a Dana 300 to the back of both after an adapter or two, which is your best option next to a Stak or Atlas case. My 435 is a dream offroad, I have great gear reduction in first and plenty of "get on it" gear in second.

Would a C6 work for the trani?? Dana 300 does sound like a good TC after reading about it. Thanks

LR

The reason I said c4 is that the c6 has a heavier rotating inertia and takes more power out of the engine to get turning, whereas the c4 is lighter (but still plenty strong) and you get more power out of the engine because it takes less turn turn the transmission. That just means more instant get on it power from the motor. The c6 is bulletproof though.

Hey I just want to say thanks to everybody who has wrote in. I've got a lot of options and a lot of decisions. Thanks everybody.

LR

Back