Bad coil?

M G D

I rebuilt a 2.5 recently and just got it buttoned up in my 94 YJ, tried to start it for the first time Saturday and it turns over but won't run, I suspected an ignition issue so I've been poking around and think it might be a bad coil. I checked the primary and secondary and the values are correct however when I install it and ground against the block I see no spark at all... the cap, wires, rotor and plugs are new. I plugged my multi-tester into the coil plug and have 12 volts with the key on so there's the question is it as simple as a new coil or are there other checks I should do, what triggers the coil sending the high voltage just the act of turning the key? Can anyone shed any light on my questions? Thank you.

Your post was a little confusing to me but was probably the way I was reading it. When you turn the key on you should have 12 volts at the coil, when you crank the engine over I believe the voltage drops to around 9 volts. Check power in the coil and out, check power in and out the dist, check spark at the plugs (ground to the block). Im not too up on wranglers but if you have a ignition control module, they are known for going out often, and if you have one and have power at the coil I would say it went out.

Your post was a little confusing to me but was probably the way I was reading it. When you turn the key on you should have 12 volts at the coil, when you crank the engine over I believe the voltage drops to around 9 volts. Check power in the coil and out, check power in and out the dist, check spark at the plugs (ground to the block). Im not too up on wranglers but if you have a ignition control module, they are known for going out often, and if you have one and have power at the coil I would say it went out.

It was a miracle... hooked up the crank position sensor and what do ya know... vrooom. Oh well, live and learn.:oops:

Back