Beach= Rust??

K_K_PSI_GUY

Okay, I'm headed to South Padre Island this coming Week (Wed) and I will be driving on the beach everyday. How can I protect my Jeep from becoming a rust bucket after it comes in contact with Ocean salt? Will I have to take my Jeep to the car wash everyday after driving on the beach, or will a very good wash at the end of the week be enough? If any of you are headed to SPI, let me know, and maybe we can do some wheeling.-al

Will you be there for a whole week? If so, you might want to take it to the car wash once or twice in the middle of the week. When you get back home, make sure you wash it really good, cleaning out all the little cracks and everything. This is what I usually do, and I have no problems with rust on any vehicles, or my dirtbikes. If you feel more comfortable doing do, you can take it to a car wash every other day, or so.

Hope this helps!!

i wouldnt drive in that water for starters, and i would pressure wash the hell out of it if it got in the water

yep, forgot to mention that! I wouldn't drive in the water either, and if you do, clean it off real good that same day

I live in Florida and I am at the beach quite often with my jeep. If you don't get it in saltwater, a nice bath at the end of the week should suffice to wash off any salt from the air. However, if you get any saltwater on it at all I would thoroughly rinse it off as soon as possible. Also, when it comes to saltwater, high volume is much more effective at removing than high pressure. The higher volume does better to dilute, dissolve and flush out salt that has found its way into any cracks and "crannies".

just go for it dude - mine doesn't rust - i'm down the beach all the time:

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

shouldnt there be some bend in those rods..or are ya lookin to catch a buzz?

That's what I'm talkin' about. That's a nice surf setup you have there. My brother is fabricating a rod setup similar to that for his YJ. I will have to show him your setup. You're right about security settings. The pics here are hosted by AOL and the firewall here at work blocks AOL urls, so, in fact, I will probably be able to view the pics in your message when I get home.

hey ChugginSudz, Looks like Island Beach State Park in NJ to me.
Grew up in Toms River...we used to pack my buddy's old GMC Jimmy (old full-sized) with rods and boards.
We throw out some lines with nothing more than 4-5oz pyramid weights and just surf (Island Beach State Park rules you must be there for the purpose of fishing, so this gave the appearance of fishing). Miles of empty beach, no other surfers in the water.

Nice ZJ! Real nice! Well, I feel beter about going to the beach now. I will probably give it a rinse midweek, and then get it cleaned up real good when I get back home. Thanks for all the great input, and great looking pics. I can't wait to get down to the island. I should be doing some dune wheeling with a friend that has an H1. That should be interesting.-al

PSI_GUY,

Have a blast! Dont forget to air down to about 10-15 psi. You are gonna love the beach. I am out wheelin in the sand and saltwater every weekend in the summer (thus my screen name) and my YJ is still mint! The garden hose is your best freind when you get back to the house. I spray my undercarriage down real good everytime. Enjoy the week!

image-missing.png

PSI_GUY,
If your still worried stop by a boat store like west marine or boaters world and pick up a product called saltaway or someting similar. It's used to wash down and flush boat motors and parts to remove and break down salt. I use it on bo fishing boat.

Don't fear the water

jugghead23 said:
hey ChugginSudz, Looks like Island Beach State Park in NJ to me.
Grew up in Toms River...we used to pack my buddy's old GMC Jimmy (old full-sized) with rods and boards.
We throw out some lines with nothing more than 4-5oz pyramid weights and just surf (Island Beach State Park rules you must be there for the purpose of fishing, so this gave the appearance of fishing). Miles of empty beach, no other surfers in the water.

you got it - photos were taken last Nov, '03 @ IBSP, NJ - when the fish stop bitin' I usually just cruise & clown around on the 10 miles of beach front - definitely a good time whether the fish are there or not...

-Sudz

K_K_PSI_GUY said:
Okay, I'm headed to South Padre Island this coming Week (Wed) and I will be driving on the beach everyday. How can I protect my Jeep from becoming a rust bucket after it comes in contact with Ocean salt? Will I have to take my Jeep to the car wash everyday after driving on the beach, or will a very good wash at the end of the week be enough? If any of you are headed to SPI, let me know, and maybe we can do some wheeling.-al

all kiddin' aside - i usually just hose down the under carriage with the garden hose & make sure to hit all the driveline stuff including the brakes & "all" u-joints.

have a good time & don't forget to air down - whether the sand appears packed or not - i air down to 14-16 lbs when i'm down at the park...

-Sudz

Well, I went Walmart and found some stuff on clearance called "salt eliminator" (thanks Ragtopman). It is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for everybodies help, and I will be sure to post some pics of my little adventure. -al

Back