best sounding muffler

fast_Z28_guy

looking for a bit more power out of the jeep to tow our new boat.

planning to get the mandrel bent pipe from Rusty's and i need some ideas on mufflers.

i'm partial to the magnaflow straight through design (have it on my 450hp camaro) and it sound nice and mellow but flows GREAT.

i'm also considering a flowmaster 40series.

even thought of doing a dynomax bullet (cheap).

any input? never really heard any exhaust setups on a jeep.

I've heard good things about the Flowmaster 40 series. We're hoping to do a review of different Jeep muffler/exhaust setups at some point in the future so I'll keep you posted.

Jes curious........how have you confirmed the 450 hp ?On a dyno,uncorked headers?pump gasoline with out funny gas?Odd it zackly 450,but,not trying to start any wars........jes curious.

I put on a 3" mandrel bent pipe, magnaflow straight through, and I think Its great. Not to loud and adds a little HP Just barly feel the diffrance But does help. Cost was 400$ :) :) :) :)

I put a set of the standard Dynomax mufflers on the CJ. I want to say it was with 2.5" tubing. Ran them with the Jeep 360 and now with the Chevy 5.3. They are quiet inside the Jeep, but have some good sound if you are standing behind. I prefer the quieter exhaust on my Jeep, but I guess that is personal preference. They definitely have good flow and available at Advance Auto for $35.

I have a Banks SS exhaust, sounds great.

Banks and that $400??You guys are outta my league...I put the flowmaster super 40 series on last night and its a super sound and fells stronger,but,no max runs until I go thru the Ansin.Cost? $90 shipped from jegs and $25 for the mandrel bent 2 1/4" aluminized tail pipe! helps to have old friends and been an old timey drag racer in the 60's,70's,80's,........hell I may just run her thru the lights sometime.........after I throw one of my 440's in her!Been lookin at a 37 Dodge tube axel and makin it a super sleeper and lookin fer some chevies to feed it........I may be an 66 yearold crippled ,fat,slow old man,but,when I an at 45 deg half crossed up,rear wheels fully spun next to you,we will see who still has it!!Thats why we all eat the same spinach made from metal shavins and sleep with a set of special heads and a 727 under yer bed!Keep on hot roddin y'all!

Banks and that $400??You guys are outta my league...I put the flowmaster super 40 series on last night and its a super sound and fells stronger,but,no max runs until I go thru the Ansin.Cost? $90 shipped from jegs and $25 for the mandrel bent 2 1/4" aluminized tail pipe! helps to have old friends and been an old timey drag racer in the 60's,70's,80's,........hell I may just run her thru the lights sometime.........after I throw one of my 440's in her!Been lookin at a 37 Dodge tube axel and makin it a super sleeper and lookin fer some chevies to feed it........I may be an 66 yearold crippled ,fat,slow old man,but,when I an at 45 deg half crossed up,rear wheels fully spun next to you,we will see who still has it!!Thats why we all eat the same spinach made from metal shavins and sleep with a set of special heads and a 727 under yer bed!Keep on hot roddin y'all!

My Jeep will smoke your Jeep! Nanny, nanny, boo boo!

j/k

educate me...TMaxx?Hey,I wanted yer permission to use the Liberalism thing ya post.I love it,but,wouldnt use with out yer OK.Is that yer own saying?For years,where ever I worked(lots of nuke plants and all sorts of wierd contrat engineering jobs)I would always post this on the wall over my desk or work area,"Time....wounds all heels" and of course all sorts of people tellin me I got it wrong.I would tell them......jes think about it.Lot of azzholes in this world,but,be patient and in time,they all get theirs!Keep on turnin them wheels!

i feel the need......to say....

my camaro will SMOKE all your jeeps....on a paved road

oh....
"Jes curious........how have you confirmed the 450 hp ?On a dyno,uncorked headers?pump gasoline with out funny gas?Odd it zackly 450,but,not trying to start any wars........jes curious."

dyno tuned 382hp at the wheels on a slipping clutch

since then i've gone from single 3" exhaust to dual 3" pipes, race clutch with light flywheel, harland sharp full roller rockers, and found out the throttle body was only opening 85%...fixed that!!!

so i should easily have picked up the last 18hp to make it about 400hp to the wheels. then a conservative drivetrain loss of 12% (very conservative...probably more like 15%) yields a 448hp at the crank. so i think 450hp estimation is accurate

Last edited:

i've got a 40 series flow master and LOVE IT... has a nice rumble with plenty of loud but doesnt suffer volume at the cost of good sound !!!!!

My little modifications will not be a world beater,jes a bit better than stock so far....I am more interested in reliability right now.If i get serious about power....I will start with one of my 440's and a 6 speed 727 etc.......workin on a 55 Plymouth wagon with an 6 speed 727 and an 578" Hemi right now and its gonna be a super street sleeper...no wheel tubs,jes moved the frame rails inboard to accomodate an 9" tire and with about 4:30 gears.....even at 9.2 ratio....make about 500-550 easy to use HP.As I have proved a lot thru the years,ya dont gotta get crazy.....jes make sure things work well together!Have fun y'all

Just my opinion.....but, I love the Borla header and the Flowmaster muffler setup. I have had that in place for the past 5 years and it has served me very well. It has a great sound....kind of "throaty", but not too loud. I have some other power upgrades in place also.... ;)

Patti

Back