best sounding muffler

I personally like my magnaflow muffler. Its straight through, ~$90 and sounds great. Nothing annoying and no droning noises.

Well all I have to say is I just installed a Banks Header with 2.5 down tube had a local shop mach my new 309SS down tube connnecting my catback with a Flow-Master 440 and stainless steel 2.5 tail pipe.
Sounds great and got a little more pep on the rocks.

I have a 83 CJ7 that I am installing a built SBC 350...i want to run inframe headers with duals out the back two sides...anyone have a sugestion for mufflers that are not loud? truck is for beach cruising and highway travel...very little trailing

Subject: Re: Reply to post 'best sounding muffler'
To: webmaster@jeepz.com

I use series 40 flowmasters on everything.They are very throaty,but,I am almost 67 and a bornhotrodder.Been foolin wid motors and hot cars etc since 1947.The mileage + power gains are super.When you say built......is it blueprintted?I built over 100 small blocks even tho I am a Mopar guy.Drove first dirt car in 54,first drag in 59.Was partner on the 9th alterwheelbased funny car in 66.Still can out drive most whippersnappers in their 50's.Have fun and let me know how ya makeout.If ya want quiet,get the series 50's...much better performance than anyother muffler.

I used to have a Flowmaster 40 series on an old car of mine, and even though the tone was great, it was way too loud for long drives at highway speeds. Also, I've heard several people say that while the Flowmasters sound great, they don't flow all that well compared to other performance mufflers. Glad you like it though. They do sound mean!

All I know is,after spending the majority of my life driving mostly high performance cars and trucks,I fall asleep without my "tunes" from my engine.I keep pretty extensive records and I normally gain 1 1/2 to 2 MPG.The loan exception were my Porches and my interpart racing 240 Z.The 911's had stock and I used an Arbarth on the Z car.My wife,who drives our 02 Dakota with the 4.7 OHC motor says she misses the sound if firced to ride with others.My sons 06 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 was at first too load on trips and he reversed the leadpipe moving the Flowmaster back 22",which made it a nice rumble and now his wife is happy.I did retain the stock Mopar high performance mufflers on my 67 GTX and my 70 6pack.Both had 440s and the Plymouths had that great sound and with the aluminized exhaust and the great factory freeflowing cast manifolds(the 67 outperformed any headers)made these the absolute best sounding stock system I ever heard.I also have built my own systems on some great motors with info from Flowmasters and I would have to be convinced of a better system.Just my opinion.

I went cheap. Summit Racing sells their own headers (I got the fenderwell ones) and their own glass packs. I got headers with gaskets and collectors for $105. The glass packs were $18.99 each (I have a V8). That and some cheap connecors and turndowns, and for about $150, I got all I need. They sound a little louder than I like, but that's probably because they dump about 4 feet from my ears. If you run yours out the back, it should be about right.

Just an idea if you want to keep it cheap.

I have the 40series and i love it.. i live in a small town with old people so it is fun to cruise through town and make them all stare at me.. haha..

I'd say the Flowmaster 40s seem to have the best sound, but they are SUPER loud on the highway (had one on my old Mazda and I started to hate long trips). Also, they don't flow as well as other performance mufflers...but they do sound good.

Edit: I just realized I already replied to this thread a while back and said basically the same thing, so...disregard this post! :)

be nice to hear some of these exhausts..;)

If you go to JP Magagzine web site, the installed I think 11 types on a jeep . You can see and hear how each one sounds inside- outside the jeep.

I beleve it was in the March issue also.

I've run Flowmaster, Borla, Headmen.. even Cherry Bomb. Depending on how load you want. All these systems were ran on the same rig. Of coarse not at the same time :p

Currently in my 92xj I'm running Borla front to back with a Random Tech cat. After swapping out the Headmen headers for Borla I was impressed. The cat back finished off the combo well. If you got the cash then buy the best. Buy Borla

Back