Big transmission problelm 98 GC Laredo 6L 4.0

RCJP

Hi to all
My jeep takes 2-3 trys before it starts, and it runs like the timing is bad, acouple of weeks ago it started turnning off for no reason while idling, and couple of times while running.
yesterday the transmission had a hard time shifting in to 3rd gear. and takes a long time to shift between each gear, (2500rpm before it goes to 2nd),
This morning after one try to start the motor, the second time all the lights in the dash went off, and it would start soundedlike when battery is dead,

I disconected the battery gave the starter solenoid a good whack, and that helpe me to get to work today. still have the issue with the delayed shifting.

any Ideas before I start spending money :?|

note: all ready changed thestarter motor did not help.

Hi can any one help????... I just got home after some heavy traffic and it turnd off acouple of times and one of thos time I had to disconnect the battery and hit the area around the starter to get it goin.

really need help , tomorrow i'm going to a transmission shop to get it checked out.
i'll post what they tell me.

This is Just a Guess. it could be a Cracked Flex plate where the Crankshaft position sensor is close to or going out of sync with the CMP sensor. maybe a failing CKP sensor. maybe a worn distributor gear. maybe a failing fuel pump. It could be a bad battery cable to the starter or a bad battery. or a bad starter .if you could get more symptoms, we might be able to narrow it down a bit. get your battery tested at a local parts house so we can knock that out of the equation if it's good.

HI

BAttery is good, also plugged the computer to get the codes,
this is what I got
P0720 Output speed sensor
p0455 EVAP leak )had this one for a while.

I think the speed sensor could be the reason for why the transmission wont shift correctly.

but could this also affect the ignition?...

goign to check connection of sensor and ground to starter.
i'll check back later

Is your speedo working correctly?

The bad output speed signal will affect the engine as the computer uses this signal.

Evap leak if often a loose or bad gas cap.

HI

BAttery is good, also plugged the computer to get the codes,
this is what I got
P0720 Output speed sensor
p0455 EVAP leak )had this one for a while.

I think the speed sensor could be the reason for why the transmission wont shift correctly.

but could this also affect the ignition?...

goign to check connection of sensor and ground to starter.
i'll check back later

Yes, the output speed sensor will ultimately affect the shift performance of the transmission. and like Bounty_Hunter said, check your fuel cap if it's loose and check the gasket on the cap. make sure there's no cracks. Another cause for a P0455(large evap. leak) is a worn, cracked or loose Evap. Vacuum line. A p0455 is just an emmission DTC and will not cause your engine to shut down or affect your Transmission's performance.

My Advice is to Fix any DTC related issues before doing anymore diagnostics. you can push the Evap. leak to the backburner for now since this is not relevant to the engine stalling.

My Advice is to Fix any DTC related issues before doing anymore diagnostics. you can push the Evap. leak to the backburner for now since this is not relevant to the engine stalling.

Im with him on this one. Check the codes fix them first then the rest.

Sounds like you have a few problems too. Sounds like things are not related too. Car stalling sounds like a bad Crank sensor or a Mass air flow sensor(mine went and made my jeep stall too on first start cold)

Secound trany problem could be a TPS sensor. Trans module uses that sensor for shifting and the speed sensor also. Possible you are stuck in limp mode were it starts off in 2-3 seloniod. If you can get a wiring diagram of the control module Id start check singals from different sensors and all. And to make sure none of your shift seloniods are shorted out.

Hi Changed output speed snsor of transmission, and that fixed the problem of the bad shifting, still stalling .
got a new code P0351 Coil sensor is there a way to check it or is this some thing common for the coil to just stop working??..
I checked the rotor and cap it is very worn looks worst than the one I changed last time.
NOTE:
the output speed sensor that i took out was filled with metal dust.

Back