biggest tires on a stock YJ

Magua308

Will 31x10.5R15 fit a stock YJ? If not, are lift shackles a bad idea? I don't have a ton of money to put into this thing right now, but the stock tires need to go. Thanks.

I've seen people run 31"-10's on stock YJ suspension. The front tire always wears an arch in the fender flares, and rubs the frame during hard turns. It can be done though.

thanks, I am going to get new tires tomorrow. What do you guys think of lift shackles? Good idea or should i just save up and buy a full suspension lift?

I've got 31x10's on my YJ now. Never had them rub the front flares, but the rear flare has a nice little arch rubbed in it now. On the stock rims, they rubbed the spring packs on full lock of the steering, so I adjusted the steering stops to stop that. Got some different wheels with better backspacing and was able to put the steering stops back to their original position and get my turning radius back again.

I'd skip the lift shackles if I were you. More trouble than they're worth. They change too many angles, resulting in handling issues and funky tire wear.

I have a 1.25 shakle lift on my YJ never had any steering problems even at 65-70 MPH on highway everyday. I think a couple of my spring eyelets are locked up though? But I ran 31"s before the shackles and like spark said only a rub on back since I have backspaced wheels.

Side note: Getting rid of shackle lift and going with revolvers and 3.5 spring lift next month can't wait!

I had 31s on with a shackle lift and it worked fine just a little rub . I put on 33s with a 2inch body lift and it is working fine also i want to get rid of the shackle lift and go with the sup lift later .

Why would you want to run 31's on a stock suspension and stock wheels?

If you go offroad, and want best performace, you won't be able to disconnect your swaybar, your tires will rub the springs at full lock...

Get a lift first or go with a smaller tire - 235x75x15 is the biggest I'd run on a stock YJ. That size with a disco'd swaybar will do more offroad than immobile 31's.

my $.02

I quess I am trying to put the cart before the horse. I have only had my YJ since January. It is my daily driver, but I will be offroading it ( I already have as much as I can with bald tires). My thinking was that I really need new tires, but I can't afford a lift and new tires. I don't want to drop $500 on new tires to have to get new ones after I lift it. So I would cram the biggest tires I can fit then start saving for my lift (I don't think I will ever go over 2"). Now that my impulse is died down a little, I'll probobly get the smaller tires. I am not terribly experienced off road so....How and why do you disconnect a swaybar?

Well if you need tires, it would make more sense if you plan on lifting it. Personally I would keep offroading light with 31's on a stock suspension.

With budget constraints always looming, there may be an option for you.

Take a look at High-Tec Retreading (http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/) for a set of tires. They have a 31x10.50/15 for $60 plus shipping. I've heard great things about them and will be getting a set myself when MY budget recovers from everything I've done over the last 2 months.

Also, I have a swaybar disconnect I just removed from my YJ. As I recall it was for a 0"-2" lift and was replaced with a RE supplied disconnect with my 2-1/2" lift kit. I was going to throw it on the "for sale" section for $30 plus shipping if you are interested.

That would get you going for ~$400 with only mounting and balancing to cover.

My YJ run's 31's with a shackle lift and it has no problems. It performs fine on the road and light to moderate wheelin. Works fine for a budget, but like Twisted said, you need a full suspension lift if you are doing serious wheelin.

BFG 31x10.5 on my stock 93 yj. two people in the back and a good bump or a sharp turn for that matter will get some rub on the flares. with the right rims though i've had little to no rub up front(jumping the island in the mall parking lot doesn't count) even offroad. It all depends on how much your springs have started to sag. i got lucky when i bought my jeep as it has no sag that i can notice. Gonna get the RE 4.5 extreme duty lift soon though CAN"T WAIT!

Im lookin at 31/10.5 for my 99' is 31" that big? whats the size of stock tires? i dont wanna spend a lot of money for something not that much bigger

laxpug19 said:
Im lookin at 31/10.5 for my 99' is 31" that big? whats the size of stock tires? i dont wanna spend a lot of money for something not that much bigger

Stock tires run 28-29". It depends on what brand you buy as to whether they are actually a true 31". Different manufacturers tend to exaggerate their size....ummm...yeah. What one sells as a 31" tire may actually only be a 30" tire. Some are 30.5", others a true 31". So, over stock tires, you're gaining anywhere from .5" to 1.5" in ride height and ground clearance.

"Also, I have a swaybar disconnect I just removed from my YJ. As I recall it was for a 0"-2" lift and was replaced with a RE supplied disconnect with my 2-1/2" lift kit. I was going to throw it on the "for sale" section for $30 plus shipping if you are interested."
First off, wht does disconnecting the swaybar do for you off road? Obviously a lot given how much has been said about it, so I'll take the disconnect. How much do I send you and to where? I live in zip code 98370. Thanks

Here is a really good article about what a sway bar does.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm

When off-roading, you WANT each tire to move independently over obstacles. This is called articulation. When one tire goes over a rock or drops into a hole, the weight on the tire other 3 tires does not change dramatically. They, in turn, are free to react to their individual conditions as well and traction is maximized.

The sway bar disconnect allows you to have this articulation off-road but keep the on-road manners needed for higher speeds and obstacle avoidance ... like people and cars.

I'm headed out tomorrow so let me connect with you Sunday upon my return.

there Mickey Thompsons fun country 2's do u think i should go a step higher and get the 33" and what lift is needed for it

Back