Black Diamond Add-a-Leaf....Opinions

jleland

My wife is gonna buy this add-a-leaf set for me for Christmas. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever used it. My YJ has 31's and I don't want bigger tires, just a little more clearance. I don't get offroad as much as I would like, but when I do it is usually a little rocky.....Nothing major. She's also gonna buy me some upper door sliders and a SRC Grill Guard bumper.

I think I'm gonna make out pretty good, but I have to buy her a diamond ring. I need some opinions before she decides to buy.

Not familiar with that specific AAL kit, but make sure they're full-length AAL's, the short ones ride too stiff.

FYI Full length roughen your ride greatly as well. For best performance offroad you want to buy lift springs. You won't get the desired flex out of a "add a leaf" or military wraps.

It's been my experience that a full-length AAL did not roughen my ride, while lifting 1.5", but I made my own full-length AAL. The retail kits may be stiffer, especially if they're rated at more height.

It's my opinion that if you want a soft smooth ride, trade that YJ in on a Lincoln or Mercedes. Jeeps (CJ's & Wranglers) ride choppy and hard. That doesn't neccessarily mean you want to bounce your gizzard loose everytime you go riding either. YJ's had softer riding leaves from the factory than any Jeep before it's time. The add-a-leaf will make it ride harder. I would put them on if I owned a YJ, you as others, may not like the ride, they cause. I wouldn't care personally, but if it's a DD on a long irritating commute to work, NO WAY.

I'm not too worried about the ride smoothness.......I only drive about 6 miles to and from work. I just want a bit more height

I use the 4wd hardware add a leaf kit on my CJ. It's not really that bad on the ride but i guess that would depend on the tires your running with. As for the flex or articulation, i haven't noticed a difference exept for a better height clearance.

Back