Body Clamps and Clips Alternatives

dennisonwj

Fellow Jeepers.

I have a 1988 Wrangler YJ. I am about to (today) replace the fuel and brake lines. On the stock Jeep there are a series of plastic and rubber mounting clamps and clips that are used to secure these lines. Most of my clamps and clips are broken and I do not know where to get replacements. They seem like an item that just is not stocked by anyone any longer.

I was planning on using metal insulated stainless steel loop hose clamps (see picture). I will try to include them where the original clamp was, but instead of pushing it in, I will drill/tap my frame and panels where needed to attach them. Will use a stainless steel bolt (1/4 inch) with a stainless washer/lock washer. I will stagger the holes so they do not end up causing any frame cracks or real damage. In many cases, I will use the existing hole, just tap it. With the loop clamps, I would think I would only want one clamp per line, not trap 2 lines under a single clamp. I would use less clamps by bundling, but the lines could rub together and possible fracture inside the clamp.

Attachments

• 41ZGWGgMGvL._SY100_.jpg
    41ZGWGgMGvL._SY100_.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 204

I used ones similiar to want you posted for my heavy gauge battery cables. Try "Welder Joes" in Washington State (I think?), they also have an Ebay store. I got single and double stainless steel clamps for my brake and fuel lines from them...........

I used ones similiar to want you posted for my heavy gauge battery cables. Try "Welder Joes" in Washington State (I think?), they also have an Ebay store. I got single and double stainless steel clamps for my brake and fuel lines from them...........

I saw what they had to offer, that stuff is awesome. Their is a slight problem though if for metal brake or fuel lines. The factory clamps did not allow the metal of the brake or fuel line to touch the frame. It acted as a rubber/plastic barrier as well as a clamp. I think they did it this way for abrasion protection of the lines. This loop clamp I showed above has an EDM layer that would have similar functionality to the stock clamps.

I saw what they had to offer, that stuff is awesome. Their is a slight problem though if for metal brake or fuel lines. The factory clamps did not allow the metal of the brake or fuel line to touch the frame. It acted as a rubber/plastic barrier as well as a clamp. I think they did it this way for abrasion protection of the lines. This loop clamp I showed above has an EDM layer that would have similar functionality to the stock clamps.

I wasn't worried about the brake lines since mine had a coiled wire jacket. I cut small pieces of 3/8 hose to put around the fuel lines, so the clamp is appling pressure to the rubber hose....If that makes sense?

I wasn't worried about the brake lines since mine had a coiled wire jacket. I cut small pieces of 3/8 hose to put around the fuel lines, so the clamp is appling pressure to the rubber hose....If that makes sense?

Plenty of sense and an excellent idea. What did you use to mount the clips to the frame? Did you use a push pin or tap a hole and use a bolt/lock washer/washer, or maybe a self tap screw?

I threaded the holes and used socket cap stainless screws/bolts. I added purple loctite for safety. I think you can see some of these in my build thread. 86 Laredo Resto/Mod

Back