BODY MOUNTS

miked

I NEED TO REPLACE THE BODY MOUNTS ON MY CJ AND I WAS WONDERING HOW DIFFICULT IT WOULD BE? IS THERE A NUT AND BOLT HOLDING IT ALL TOGETHER OR DOES THE BODY HAVE NUT INSERTS. ALSO, WHO HS THE BEST PRICE ON BUSHINGS? I HAVE ONE CATALOG AND THEY LIST FOR ABOUT $50.OO BUCKS FOR PROTHANE. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Miked,
Are you going to install a body lift, or just replace the mounts? I would probably put a 1" in there, you can't really notice it, and it's not hard to do.

here's a really brief write up (I'll try to add to it today) Installing a Body Lift

Be sure to get the color you want, most that I see are red.

Hope this helps,
Terry

------------------
'85 CJ-7 - 33s, total of 4.5" lift, TFI ignition, plus more. Click here to see it

[This message has been edited by terrymason (edited April 06, 2001).]

You may run into problems if you have a lot of rust. One other thing make sure that the kit comes with new spacers and bolts. Most likely the bolts will be junk and some of the spacers will be shot also. They are easy to do though. 1st take all the bolts out on one side and the front one(the nuts are in the tub and should not turn if there is any metal left). 2nd jack up that side of the tub off of the rocker panel (not too high just enough to get the mount in and out). You should be able to do the front one at this time also. After the new mounts are on the one side let the jack down and put the new bolts back in with anti-seize. Now go over to the other side and do it again. Good luck

------------------
80 cj7, 304, auto, 33's,

When I went to look at the body mounts, some of them were missing all together. Has anyone else experienced this problem before. Everything is missing, the perch is still there but the bushing and the bolts are gone. What should I do from here?

I wonder if somebody took them out. Why someone would do that is beyond me. Check to see if the nuts are still there. If they are, is there a broken bolt in there. One other thought somebody tried to change them and found that some of the nuts were spinning and left it like that. I couldnt see the mounts falling out even if the bolts came out. Where are you from. Anywhere close to me. I wouldnt mind to stop by and take a look.

------------------
80 cj7, 304, auto, 33's,

the rubber was totally gone,on two of them. no bolts or nuts. i thought about trying to fix it but the mounting platform on the jeep tub is pretty bad too. on two of them there is no place for the bushing to sit. i think that is why they fell out. oh well, i am going to have to get another tube. i could fix this one but i think it would cost too much.

those can be fixed if you have any metal left there. It would be cheap also. It would probably get you by for awhile until you do a tub.

------------------
80 cj7, 304, auto, 33's,

Back