Bolt broken

Lee3333

Official Supporter
The front body bolt is broken. What is the best way to get it out? I was thinking about removing the entire grill assembly to make things easier. Is it hard to get off?

A side question-I am replacing my door and windshield hinges and many of the Torq bolts are stripping and need to be drilled out. What is the best drill bit size to use?

Thanks for the help.

Anything to facilitate an easier bolt extraction is good, just more parts to remove and re-install.. The drill bit sizei s contingent on the size extractor your going to use. Go to a napa parts house and tell them what size bolt your going to extract and have them match you up with the correct size drill bit and extractor. Same with the Torx bolts..
Welcome to Jeepz..

You may also wanna try a left handed drill bit on your broken bolt. A lot of times just drilling the bolt will loosen it up and walk it out. And if it doesn't then you still have the hole for the easy out.

You may also wanna try a left handed drill bit on your broken bolt. A lot of times just drilling the bolt will loosen it up and walk it out. And if it doesn't then you still have the hole for the easy out.

Yes, this is a good idea - I had four bolts sheared off to remove and if I recall three of them backed right out on the drill bit. I only drilled in about half way before each one spun out. Best of luck - John

I agree with the above suggestions but may add that just as soon as the bolt head lifts to create just a small gap, I like to give a good shot of a quality penetrating oil like AeroKroil (Kano Lab's Kroil in aerosol form), PB Blaster, or even a home brew of 50% ATF + 50% Acetone. I'll let this set for a few minutes then carry on with the extraction.

This seems to allow for less torque to be used to remove the offending bolt.

Well, I got it fixed but it was not what I thought. I pulled the grill out and cut out the bottom to access the nut. The problem was not a broken bolt stuck in the nut (although that is what me and 4 others thought when we looked inside through the hole). Instead, the cage was broken allowing the nut to float around and not hold when tightened. The welder at the shop made a beautiful new cage and welded another nut on top of the square one for more strength. Problem solved.

Next issue-my Griffin radiator is so thick I couldnt use the electric fan I purchased. I had to get a thinner one. Then, although it is designed for my YJ, the bottom part of the bracket hits the steering assembly. It is longer than necessary, so tomorrow I just have to cut the bottom part of the bracket off. Finally, I may have clearance problems with the Ford 9 inch rear and the fuel cell. Measurements indicate it may hit, but tomorrow we will put it in place and see for sure. I guess nothing goes easy with this type of project.

Back