Brain Pick...Fitting 33" Tires

Megamole

Ok so I have an 6cyl 5spd, 89 Wrangler sitting on a 3.5" Fabtech lift, trans drop, stock axles, after market 15x8 rims w/4" backspace, 31" tires. When I wheel my jeep with the 31's they tuck nicely into the fenders flares and it ran the trails great. I recently bought a set of used 33" MTR's. I have yet to mount but care already see that it will be tough to fit them without more lift or cutting.

I am looking for the best way to run these tires on the trails without spending too much cash or getting a new lift. I have 4.10 axles so that part is done.

1) 1' body lift. About $150 4 a daystar. Also looked into M.O.R.E. 1' BL $120 with 1" Engine lift $70. I think this will fit the tires and lessen the driveshaft angle, but doesn't really do much for the suspension.

2) Longer shackles maybe 2" lift shackles front and rear netting about 1" lift from now. Better for suspension, but worse for my driveshaft angle.

3) Cut out the body and install TJ flares. Still no help for suspension, but fits the tires.

Anyone with some ideas or have done similiar? Please chime in. I am stuck in the mud!

1st choice: TJ flares. Fit the larger tires without raising the center of gravity. Downside, you lose your pretty painted flares.

2nd choice: 1" body lift, get the kind that replaces the stock body bushing so the body lift bushing is one piece. Or you can do the $25 hockey puck body lift like I have, used it on several jeeps with success.

3rd choice: Don't get longer shackles. They change pinion angle, ruin caster, and decrease your approach and departure angles.

Not sure where you're located, but the MT/R's flat out suck in the mud.

Hockey pucks work great but don't go more then 3 high because they can move on ya over time or in a crash.

Have you considered a Spring over. Good chance your shafts are not Long enough(unless you lengthened them for the fab kit). Going to recommend a carbine Joint setup if you haven't and a Case Drop Kit to help knock out any bad vibration.

Thanks for the input. Thinking I will go for the bl and ml. Seems to be the best of the evils.

As for the spring over. I will wait till I have better axles before going through that process. Spring ofver 5-6 of lift. 35-36 inch tires. stock axles bad idea.
I will update my pic when I finally get it done.

But keep the ideas flowing, I haven't completely decided yet.

Personally I would say trim to fit with the TJ flares, then go with a body lift if necessary.
just a note you need to rotate those MT/r's every three to 5K miles.
They might suck in the mud but they stick like glue to slick rock and dry broken rock trails.

i'm running 33's w/4" lift (for 4 years now...) and have little to no issues - i eventually trimmed about 1/2 - 3/4" off the edges of my stock flares (when i flat-fendered the front) and the only rub i get is inside the rear wells, the back flange where the flares bolt to the body - and thats only on full compression and not severe enuff to worry about....

Back