broke my driveline

jasonmolinar

so i broke my rear drive shaft the other day, but instead of just repairing it i'm looking to just replace the rear axle and transfer case which i heard makes it so you have to get a new drive shaft anyways.. so i started looking on our local ksl.com and found a ford 8.8 rear axle that comes with a transfer case and transmission.. would i have to change the trans too? here's a link to the axle. would this be a good deal?
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=678&ad=19589448&cat=&lpid=

Attachments

• image-3318745938.jpg
    image-3318745938.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 168
  • image-2575656016.jpg
    image-2575656016.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 159

A Ford 8.8 rear axle is a popular swap with the TJ crowd (I'm in the middle of one now). I would however suggest that you get a 95 or better axle with disc brakes. They come either open, or with a limited slip, and in 3.73 or 4.10 gears, so you should try and find an axle that has the same gears as your Cherokee if possible. Be aware that the cost of this swap adds up quick - axle, brackets, welding, gears, locker, brake hoses, parking brake, yoke adapters, etc.

Having said all of that, are you sure you might not be better off with a slip yoke eliminator setup and your existing axle? You could then run a CV driveshaft. Something like this:
http://www.4wd.com/Transmission-and....aspx?t_c=69&t_s=512&t_pt=7779&t_pn=CROSYE231

For more of a direct bolt on , look for a 8.25 from a 97-01 XJ. They came with 29 splines on the shafts.
And yes on the SYE
For the rear DS, you can use a DS from the front of a XJ, they have the cv ends. And a drive shaft shop can make it the lenght you need.

So we can just take a cherokee front axle and have it cut to fit our output on the tcase and input on te diff? Een us wrangler dangler guys

Read it again. Front Drive Shaft not axle. He has a XJ, not a wrangler.
This has been done to plenty of XJ's

duh, mistype. shaft, sorry. i know it had been done on xjs but i thought i had read on yjs too and i was just asking to verify since i am going to need a new rear one for the ol v8 swap that is upcoming

Back