BROKE!

joeycj5

After completing some upgrades on my '76 CJ-5, W/AMC 360, Dana 30 front, AMC 1-piece rear. Dana 300 T/C and T-176. I took her for a spin, OFF-ROAD. Was doing great until first hill climb. Result: Broken front Warn Hub, Broken front Driver side axle-shaft, and Twisted and snapped in half front driveshaft. I guess the Locked Dana 30 does not like to have fun? :-x [addsig]

Better the ride than the you, replacement parts are harder to come by.
But I do feel for ya Bro. :-( [addsig]

Going For It :-D Breaking It :-( Fixing It :-( Going For It Again :-D Don't you just love this Jeep Thing! Tug[addsig]

Yea, If it doesnt break, yur not playing hard enough!! I have the replacement parts sitting at home.[addsig]

Just thinking out loud. Thats the reason, most guys I know, quit putting lockers in the front. At best a mild limited slip. One main reason (besides steering) being, even in a motor with moderate torque, a whole lot of kinetic energy, is saved up when the tires slip, then grip again, all that energy has to go someplace. One of the better places, is to the loosest tire on the front axle. That´s one thing I liked about the old 203 tranfer, it dumped the torque to the loose axle (when in full time).
My brother snapped all of his flywheel bolts on a hill climb, I twisted a danna 60 axle on another (heavy duty hardware), I´ve twisted flex plates up into a pretzel shape and have seen broken crank shafts. Like stain resistant underwear, sometimes the solution, isn´t the problem. :-D

edited by: MudderChuck, Feb 05, 2003 - 07:10 AM[addsig]

Yup, I hear you. The Locker up front has been causing a LOT of caos? Snapping u-joints and axles. Also very exciting steering problems. :-x [addsig]

Back