Buying a Jeep - Anything to watch out for?

Krazytrain

Hi, newbie on the board but am thinking about buying a 00 -03 Wrangler sport/sahara/x. What are the gotchas for these? Any year better than another...etc. I don't want to get burnt out of the gate.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

CJ

Hey welcome to Jeepz.com!!!

Spend the money and get the 4.0L. A Dana 44 rear axle is a plus if you plan on adding a lift and bigger tires, but you don't need it.

I don't know where you live, but if you have cold winters, a hard top would be nice. This isn't needed either, but if you plan on getting one, get a jeep that already has one. Buying a soft top is easier and cheaper than buying a hard top.

Leave yourself room in the budget to spend on it regularly, because you will no doubt be buying stuff for your new baby!!!

You will not regret buying a Jeep!

TwistedCopper

You are getting ready to enter into a love hate relationship that is unlike any other. After being a Jeep owner being Jeepless just plain sucks! Gota have another and another and another ect... Welcome to the board tug

will 32''s rub?

Welcome to the board!

Look for a fully loaded wrangler sport. If you find one that is fully loaded it should have the tougher rear axle(dana 44). And if you like cruise control, look for one with that, cause it is a real pain to instal if it doesnt come from the factory. The sport is a 4.0 6cyl which is the biggest motor the wranglers come with. Its a good motor.

Check the 4.0L exhaust manifold very closely for any cracks. An extended warranty may be a good purchase.

I agree with Bounty - check the exhaust manifold for cracks. If you absolutely love the Jeep though and it has one with a crack, there is a class action lawsuit that you can sign up for that may help you with this problem.

Get the six cylinder, you won't regret it.

pinging sound

I would also have to say that you should get the 6 cyl and the Dana 44. After that, whatever options you would like. I am not really familiar with the newer ones, so I don't know if any years are better than others.

clicking noise under the hood

dont listen to these guys, my 4 cylinder will do anything a 6 will do, not really ive been wishing for something larger since i got it but i still love it, if you wanna splurge get a rubicon, i think they came out in 03 didnt they?

LOL!!! my 4 cyl will also do everything a 6 cyl will...except for when it gets onto the highway (or any type of road for that matter)

Back