Calif. V8 chevy swap question

DAFFY

Here's a question for you Californians. I used to be one myself. I have a 68 CJ5 with a small block chevy. Its was legal in CA at the time and still has the sticker the smog inspector slapped on it (on the windshield frame). That was about 12 yrs back or so. I'm now in Missouri

I"m about to part out my jeep. But was wondering if it would be worth a lot more to Californians if they can't do legal V8 swaps/builds anymore. I"m getting ready to move back west to Oregon and could tow it back if its worth it. ?Any thoughts?

seems like it would be worth it to tow it and sell it for more on the west coast

seems like it would be worth it to tow it and sell it for more on the west coast

Thats what I"m wondering. Here in MO they don't sell well (no mountains here) But I've already got a big load to haul back including a milling machine and lathe. So it would really have to be worth the hassel and extra gas money it'll take. I probably wouldn't tow it, but break it down and pack in the moving truck and maybe my trailer. Sell the tires and rims to save space and weight.

all i know is a carb legal v8 swap is worth tons of money. on any vehicle when i lived out there in the 90s

If it's a 68 you don't have to worry about smog here in Cali ..

Smizer, Does that include first time registration? When I moved down there, I had to get it smoged to get it titled for CA. And I think that although you don't have to do the scheduled smog inspections you can still be ticketed by a zelous highway patrol officer/police if he thinks your vehicle may not be stock. Correct me if I'm wrong, its been a long time and laws change all the time.

but you still have to have original equipment parts on the vehicle. just because a vehicle is pre-72 doesn't mean you can swap whatever you want on to the vehicle or all the auto collectors wouldn't have high tailed it in the 90s. i know that part, my grandpa got his 66 mustang picked up and they gave him some ridiculous amount for it in return since it wasn't stock emissions and fuel system

Sorry your right , when you first bring it in or transfer it it needs smog. Where I live after that no smog inspections so what they don't know !!

I'm not sure about 1st time registering but if it's pre74 you don't have to smog it even if you change ownership

Thanks guys. thats what I though (have to smog on first reg.)
I'll have to dwell on if its worth the hassel of hauling with me when I move west again. I really hate to part it out. It was a great jeep. I tore it down to fix some body cancer and never completely got it back to gether again. Now don't have the time or money to spare (out'a work.)
If anyone knows someone in CA thats looking for a good project with a chevy 327 eng. Send them my way. Has Muncie 4 speed, Dana 18 TC, Over drive, 9" ford rear with Detroit locker, rectangular tube frame, roll cage, GM tilt colum,......Basicly only needs the tube finished up. Chassis is rolling.

Daffy

Back