Can I leave my windsheild channel on under a hard top???

TwistedCU

I'm picking up a used hard top tomorrow morning. I was wondering if I can leave the windsheild channel for my factory soft top on. I was hoping to just bolt the back on and take it easy on the way back home, then put my soft top on until I can get a set of hard doors. My windsheild channel is pop-riveted on (thanks to previous owner) and it would be nice if I didn't have to get into removing it. Can I leave the channel in permanently, just for the ride home tomorrow, or should I take it off before going???

-TC

U shouldn't have a prob with leaving it on. I know on the TJs that u can leave the Channel on without any problem.

I don't know about your 92. But for my 88YJ I had to remove the channel the top would not set all the way down.

Yup! Same here. I had to remove the channel for the top to fit and the factory soft top bolts were too short, so I had to make a quick run to a hardware store - no big deal. It's on the jeep and looks good, but I'm still lookin' for a set of doors!

-TC

my hardtop fits right over the channel... and... i didn't use any bolts.. the rear mounts hold the top down just fine

Mine was an '88, and the hardtop fit fine over the channel. The channel must be back against the windshield lip completely, too far forward and it will interfere with the hardtop.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Mine was an '88, and the hardtop fit fine over the channel. The channel must be back against the windshield lip completely, too far forward and it will interfere with the hardtop.

I'll buy that.

Snitty said:
my hardtop fits right over the channel... and... i didn't use any bolts.. the rear mounts hold the top down just fine

Those are the bolts I was referring to (rear). For the front, I put a few screws in the winsheild frame where the previous owner of the hardtop already had holes in the fiberglass (just above inside of windsheild). It was on pretty solid without them, but I figured they couldn't hurt.

i was lucky enough that my winshield channel had almost completely removed ITSELF by the time the hard top came into the picture. any tips on how to keep that sucker down?

BostonJeep said:
i was lucky enough that my winshield channel had almost completely removed ITSELF by the time the hard top came into the picture. any tips on how to keep that sucker down?

Mine was pop-riveted on by the previous owner. It was solid.

Back