carb problum

smalloy24

I have a 87 wrangler with a 4.2 and a stock carb had a bad stutter when driving. When I would get up to a any speed and try to keep it at that speed would run like carb cloged I rebuilt it and same problem. Any ideals

Convert to a motorcraft carb. You'll get better power and probably better gas mileage. I know I did The swap is well documented in here. Just look for mc2100 carb

It can be a bad fuel pump, filter, and I would lean to more of a vacuum leak. Was this onset of stuttering a sudden development or slowly appeared over time.

smalloy24 said:
I have a 87 wrangler with a 4.2 and a stock carb had a bad stutter when driving. When I would get up to a any speed and try to keep it at that speed would run like carb cloged I rebuilt it and same problem. Any ideals

Dude I have that same engine with the Carter carb and here are my thoughts. Back in the 70's someone at Carter found pictures of some Chrysler big wig in bed with a 13 year old piano boy. Using this leverage he convinced jeep to put solid pieces of solid metal poop on top of intake manifolds. Thus creating our problems now. That's my hypothesis

You symptoms are classic fuel filter, the more gas you give it the more it sputters. Change the fuel filter for starters if you haven’t in a while as you probably need it anyway then check the nightmare of plumbing under the hood looking for bad connections, cracks in the hoses and such. If that fails cure the problem move onto the carb; swap in a MC2100/2150 and life should be much easier.

Well thanks every one for posting and helping I figured out it was not geting enought fuel so adj float and now runs like a champ no sputering

Float level will get you every time. Now that you say that, I had that problem once too, same symptoms.

I hate having had so many problems with vehicles over your life that you forget which ones you've had

lose the carter carb you will see a big difference

Well thanks every one for posting and helping I figured out it was not geting enought fuel so adj float and now runs like a champ no sputering

I am having the same problem except with a weber carb and I think adjusting my floats could be the answer but i have never done this and I don't wanna open it up and just start bending stuff... I would really appreciate any tips on how to do this

check your other thread and see if your accelerator pump is working before you worry about the float settings.

Back