Carb Rebuild Any Advice!

Tug-n-pull

Pulled the Carter off the 79 modle CJ7 258 six today. Bought the rebuild kit and now we are going to make an attempt to get through this mess. The carb is shot and if I can't do it I will only be out a few bucks and if it works I will save a bundle. So tomorow evening I will set up a nice clean work area with plenty of light and start taken this POS Carter apart. Wish us luck and if you have any usefull information on this procedure please let me know. If it goes bad then I will feel justified in the replacement of the orginal with an upgrade. Thanks in advance! Tug

cold inside & out

My jeep ran bad when I first bought my jeep.Lacked power,and couldnt idle for beans.I changed the plug wires,cap and rotor,sparkplugs,fluids and air filter.It helped,but so far the carb rebuild has been my best mod.I had a local carb guy rebuild mine.And let me tell you.He did a fine job,my jeep will idle perfectly now,and has a smooth throttle.

Tug have you drilled out the idle tubes yet? I slapped in a kit, drilled out the tubes, put in a man. choke and move the upgrade of a carb. down my list a couple of lines.

i agree with drilling the idler tubes! it worked wonders for my 258/carter.

just make sure that everything is clean before reassembly.

pay close i mean close attention on how everything was before you take it apart.....the repair manual and rebuild kit come with a breakdown of the carb and they help a whole lot but some places they are ify....me and my friend took only one day to get the carb off, rebuilt, and back on my jeep .....spent a couple of hours trying to rember how things went back together, so pay close attnetion and it wount be that hard of a job.....o yea good luck, and it helps a whole lot to get the carb rebuilt

--Stubby

check out the "how to" on our own site for instructions on the idle tubes.

i used the smallest drill in my drill index. it was a wire-size drill, i think it was about 0.040".

i have not had to do the weekly idle tube cleaning since drilling them out, about a year ago.

We just did my Carter a few months ago. One thing I would suggest is getting a can of compressed air like they sell at Radio Shack. It comes in handy to blast the gunk out of little corners and off little pieces. Also, I had to look ALL OVER to find the wire guage drill bit for the jets, and then it turned out they were already drilled to the right size...arrgh. If I recall right it was a .016. The rebuild helped a lot in my case...

Good luck

Back