Carter YF will not start

Ia2003

Have a 56' CJ5 with a newly rebuilt (by a carb shop) Carter YF. It would start perfectly when I first installed it about 2 months ago but now I cannot get the jeep to start without spraying starting fluid down the carb. Whats up with that?

I wouldn't spray anymore starting fluid in it. Use a little gas to prime it with. Starting fluid is very hard on your engine and believe it or not engines become addicted to it. Sounds like your Carb is losing prime. Does it do this every time or just when you first crank it. What size Carb is it?

It use to be just when I first crank it. But now even if I run it for awhile, shut it down and try to start again, I have the same problem.

It is getting colder now, and I know that this time last year my jeep cj started doing the same thing, ended up being the distributor. This summer I switched it out to a performance distributor and right now it still doing great with the cold weather. Maybe upgrade distributor

I have a new distributor and I live in Hawaii. Weather is the same all year.

Try taking off the air filter and look down into the carb while pushing the throttle back to see if its squirting fuel. If not it could be a defective accelerator pump. If it is squirting fuel you may want to check the inside of your distributor cap for condensation. When my cj had the stock points distributor I had that problem also. Seems to be a pretty common problem here in Hawaii.

If this is a points dist, Yeah I deal with moisture getting inside my dist cap too. I would agree... Check the cap. Almost everytime it rains or I wash my jeep I have to take the cap off and wipe it dry, starts right up after that. Even if you have a new dist, moisture can get under the cap very easily.

My distributor does not have points... Can moisture still cause a problem??

The old poits dist were known for moisture issues, but the newer Electronic ignitions are pretty durable so I doubt moisture. Have you checked the accelorater pump yet, and is your choke working on you carb. Does your new Porformance dist have a vac advance can on it.

Ia2003 said:
My distributor does not have points... Can moisture still cause a problem??

Is your engine the f-134? I thought those came with points. We're you able to find an electronic distributor for that engine?

First thing in the morning before you try to crank it, pour a little gas in the Carb to prime it. If it cranks right up then you know its a fuel issue. Most likely accelerator pump.

If you cant figure it out, check out the guys on earlycj5.com, they are gurus on the old "f" 134 engines. sometimes there is a waiting list to join the site, so if you cant get into it I will PM you my password to gain acess to the site if you like.

Thanks. I am a member over there. A lot of good stuff on both sites. I put the question out on earlycj5.net as well. I discovered that if i pump the accelerator two-three times before turning the key, it usually fires right up. Just gotta push some fuel into the carb i guess.

yeah my v8 is the same way. As its getting colder I have to pump more gas into the carb before hitting the key or it wont start. we have gotten spoiled with these new fI cars, I think carbs are just like that, espeacialy if its a 4 barral.. Is it manual choke? I bought a autochoke carb in early spring (took it back for lack of funds) but, while it was on there I never had to tough the gas pedal before starting. It fired right up and idled down perfect.. Maybe a auto choke carb will fix, if yours is manual.

I understand you've checked out the choke for function, just wanted to chime in as on my Ford 300, all looked well but found that a rim of varish had build up in the throat of the YF right at the choke lip, preventing it from opening after sitting overnight. Used a toothbrush and some carb cleaner and got that ridge out of the way. Best of luck!

Back