CB running on radio speakers

pizaba

Hey everyone,

Been awhile since I've posted anything. Mainly because I haven't been rich enough to get anything for the jeep in awhile.

So, a friend of mine gave me a free CB radio (Cobra 19DX III). I've been looking into locations on where to put it and what I should do. And I had a hairbrained idea of "what if I install it under the AM/FM radio, and figure out the wirings to where I have the CB come across the main speakers?" The reasoning for this is because it gets loud(ish) when driving on the highway AND I'm still on stock tires. I know it gets louder with after market tires/top off/generally windy day.

So, on to the question: Am I spinning my wheels trying to get the CB in a perfect place and wired to the speakers? Understand that I see a CB radio for emergency use only and/or needed gear for the zombie apocalypse.

Question 2: Is this Cobra even worth a damn?

cobras are good, check the back of the cb, there should be a plug (head phone type plug) for external speakers. I would opt for a set of external speakers dedicated to the cb and mounted on/ under the dash type of placement. They sell them pretty cheap (check radio shack, ebay, etc.) and are plug and play.

I bought a dedicated remote speaker for one of my CB's that was mounted on a swivel/pedestal. I could hear it fine on my motorcycle, even with my helmet on, at sane speeds.
The dedicated CB speakers tend to operate at a range that makes understanding speech better, while audio speakers may not.

I mounted an external speaker on the roll bar just to the right of my head behind me. No problems except to remember to keep the sound down or blow out your eardrum!:D

I agree with all of the above, however in Fl with a bimini top I opted for a marine speaker, I also use one on our boat. They are supposedly "waterproof" and sound good.

Back