Changing the transmission fluid this weekend

Bond--007

I'm going to be changing out the transmission fluid this weekend. There are 196,218mi on the jeep and I know nothing about the age of the fluid. I have read several posts and would like some input. I was going to put 10w-30 in it but trying to determine Syn or Conv. Is there a pro/con of each? Is the Syn better than Conv and why?

1997 Wrangler
2.5L
5 speed manual

Thanks for your time

As far as synthetic versus conventuals , I don't use synthetic so I couldn't tell you not to or to use it. Hoping another member will have more input . Your post read 10w-30 , did the container actually read that on it ? To my knowledge , 10w-30 is a grade of motor . I've known t-cases to use gear oil , motor oil or transmission fluid as per manufacturer spec's but I've never heard engine oil for transmissions. Was this misposted or did you actually find this in your owners manual or a service manual ? These days , dexron 2 , 3 or 4 are typically used since a lot of trans fluids have been superceeded but have never heard to use motor oil . Please check on this before you add fluid to your jeep !

As far as synthetic versus conventuals , I don't use synthetic so I couldn't tell you not to or to use it. Hoping another member will have more input . Your post read 10w-30 , did the container actually read that on it ? To my knowledge , 10w-30 is a grade of motor . I've known t-cases to use gear oil , motor oil or transmission fluid as per manufacturer spec's but I've never heard engine oil for transmissions. Was this misposted or did you actually find this in your owners manual or a service manual ? These days , dexron 2 , 3 or 4 are typically used since a lot of trans fluids have been superceeded but have never heard to use motor oil . Please check on this before you add fluid to your jeep !

I thought the same thing. I read the posts again and it stated they used 10w-30 motor oil and they even stated a dealership suggested it. The other one everyone was posting about was a Redline MT90

Well ok , that's one for the books for both us. Oh yes , the Redline is mentioned quite often in our forum . Never had the opportunity to use it but our highly regarded and well trusted member Bounty_Hunter swears by it and his credit is darn good with us.

found the post. I pasted just the info, not the source

AX-5 5 speed manual - 3.3 quarts 75W-90 GL3, 75W-90 GL4, or 10W30 (NOT GL5 or GL5 compatible as incorrectly stated in some of the manuals)

Be careful with manual trans and t-case fluids , the wrong additives WILL. Do in your brass syncros ! Guess that why we push the good stuff , REDLINE !

yeah, I see see alot of debates about the brass syncros being "attacked" by wrong fluids being put in. I was searching for Redline, but no one near me sells it. I have seen Lucas products has a transmission fluid and their stuff I've been happy with when running in an engine.... thoughts?

So, I'm not an expert with the AX15 (or 5) but I believe they fall into the "non-World Class" category of gearbox's or simply put, they have brass, bronze and other yellow parts (mainly synchronizer rings). If yours has brass/bronze parts, you'll need to be careful selecting gear oil. You'll need one that is free of chlorine and sulfur as it eats at the brass/bronze overtime (as mentioned by Greg). Pennzoil Synchromesh gear oil is approved for these applications as well as specific gear oil from MOPAR. I don't know about the others brand mentioned?

I'm basing this on my experience with T4/5 transmissions and the hours of studying the works of Moses Ludel. So, please research this out before jumping in Bro.

Last edited:
Use a Syncromesh if you want to save a few bucks and get it locally. Use Redline MT90 if you want the best and want the transmission to last as long as possible. It's a full synthetic and will generally improve notchy shifting, especially in cold weather.

I order my Redline through Summit Racing.

Watch the fluid for brass glitter when you drain it, that's the sign of damage to your synchronizers from running the wrong fluid.

The local dealership checked the part number for the fluid needed. The guy said it was Synthetic 10w30

10w30 will be an issue in cold weather. Stock fluid actually has additives that attack the syncros and the manual recommendation will fry your syncros.. The synchromesh does not. I don't know about redline personally do I won't comment.

Last edited:
10w30 will be an issue in cold weather. Stock fluid actually has additives that attack the syncros and the manual recommendation will fry your syncros.. The synchromesh does not. I don't know about redline personally do I won't comment.
I would think that the redline , valvoline and any manufacturer of lubricants strive to make fluids specifically for better lubrication as well as the problem later discovered of the additives attacking the yellow metals to replace the original recommended fluids of the auto manufacturer . Manual transmissions got enough trouble warming up their fluid in winter months for proper lubrication so engine oil would be a hinder like 80/90 gear oil is to . At least 80/90w sticks better. Since these transmissions are specific in their requirements for lubrication demands , if synthetic , regardless of brand has been working out for many owners I would say go with it. The main contention to is the additives. You'll want to stay away from any lube that is detrimental to your syncronizers .

The one thing echoed across all forums was to make sure the product used did not state it was GL-5 (whatever that means)

The one thing echoed across all forums was to make sure the product used did not state it was GL-5 (whatever that means)

It is really API GL-5 that the other forums are referring too. Whether we are referring to GL-1,-2,-3,-4,-5 etc. these are ratings or really nomenclatures of gear oil in a standardized format.

The remember the mentioning of chlorine and sulfur are things you don't what in a gearbox with yellow parts? API GL-5 in short means that it is hypoid (spiral cut) gear oil with the greatest amounts of extreme pressure modifiers. Or it contains all the stuff yellow parts don't like. Your transfer case and differentials like GL-5 especially with about 20 percent Lucas gear oil additive. GL-4 is the highest you'll normally find in a gearbox, but it's not uncommon to use GL-1 or 2 in a normal duty synchronized gearbox or transaxle.

But don't take my word for it. Research some of this stuff yourself outside of forums (like OEM and manufactures sites). Regardless, a friend of mine on another forum has a great saying: "remember that free advice on the web is just that-free and you get what you pay for."

Hmmm ,.... I've always run Valvoline 80-90wt gear oil in my '92 Wranglers and my '89 Comanche . Manuals state that type of gear oil for both the 5spd Asian Warner stick shifts as well as both diffs plus the "TracLock" additive in the rear diff if it indeed does have "TracLock" or a limited slip diff .
I know not what changes were made in later years and have heard of some stick shift transmissions using lighter weight oil or even ATF . But I love my old school stuff and it's 80-90wt only for them . Better safe than sorry . Do the research

Jeeprancher, the manuals can be wrong, as is the case of recommending GL-5 rated gear oil for the Aisin AX5 and AX15 transmissions.

OK , now you got my wheels spinnin' .
I better go check that Valvoline container to see what I've got in there .
Ive never seen any sign of wear when changing the oil though . I've always paid attention to that when changing any fluids .

Back