Cheap Axe & Shovel holders....

A Gadget Moment

Are they lockable? I can see some jerk coming out of the bar at 2 am and deciding that your axe and shovel should be introduced to every car window and body panel in the immediate area.

RE: Re: RE: Broke a shock mount

yeah, seems to me like an axe would be something better kept in the car. i think for liability issues to say the least. cause if its outside, and not locked, you could get in trouble for negligance, whereas if its inside, and someone had to break in your car to get it, and then caused damage with it, you're more than likely in the clear. unless of course you drive a cj/yj/tj with no top, then you're screwed either way :wink:

If they hold up to being outdoors all the time they look like a nice little product. Thanks for the link.

Jeeps throwin codes...again

I wanted a K-bar strapped to my roll bar in the worst way, figured that it was the perfect place for it and I was sure at some point it would come in handy. But I didn't want to have to keep replacing them or be responsible for somebody getting stabbed on my account. Especially kids. More than a few times when I had the top off I came back to the jeep to find a kid or two playing in it. There's a guy around here with a shovel bungee-strapped to his front bumper. I'd love to see if he ever hits something and it goes flying through the siding on somebody's house. And lastly, I would expect people are going to be asking you all the time to dig stuff up for them, since you always have a shovel.

Well thanks gents for the responses, no matter what I am giving them a shot as I already committed to overnighting them here for Friday (I am so impatient when it comes to stupid projects!)

I do have a security/safety system in mind so far, as I am mounting these to a bracket I am fastening to the third brake light tower. Is going to be a steel plate with matching backing thru bolted to the tower, mounting those clamps to the plate, then running 1/16" steel cable through drilled holes in the handles of the two tools. This will help with a "quick theft" of the tools, and my rig is usually in safe places.......... I know that was a mouthful, I will post some pics when I get it done....... unless I hate it, then I will never mention this project again!!!

I just could not see shelling out the $80 to quadratec for the hood bracket mount......... and I have found no other options ANYWHERE (outside of $500 rack & $75 brackets for it)

I use my rig for camping mostly, and bonfires on the Pacific Coast, so I don't want to go without......... not to metion it, and I know its shallow, how mean a 3.5b axe can look on a Wrangler!

Hey if all else fails, my utility closet will have the toughest mop & broom holders in the neighborhood!

I got the 'ol "good news, bad news" this past Su

I don't get those hood mounts.... and the hood hinge light brackets. If you put some good sized KCs on there, they have to be hittin the windshield everytime you open the hood. Could you bolt those things right to the sides of the tub?

RE: I got the

Montclaire said:
I don't get those hood mounts.... and the hood hinge light brackets. If you put some good sized KCs on there, they have to be hittin the windshield everytime you open the hood. Could you bolt those things right to the sides of the tub?

I know the hood mount kit can be mounted to any flat surface, I would imagine the bolt hole pattern is the same as the hood hinge.

I do not see why you could not mount them right below the doorsill on the tub. With some sort of backing plate on the inside of the tub to keep it from warping. I did contemplate that placement, but my Tj is stock height still and for some reason when I had a buddy hold the shovel up to the tub, it just did not look right. I am sure on a rig with some height to it, it would work out ok though.

As far as the light mounts, I contemplated the hood hinge but went with the window hinge instead. I am really stoked with those. I thought it would impead the hood from opening all the way back to the windhshield but it clears........ or should I say squeeks by, and that is with 6" procomps. I have no complaints with any reflection off the hood like i heard some people mentioning with that light placement. (I WOULD recommend making a quick disconnect right where the wires come out of the lights though, that way if you want to fold the windhsield you don't have to rip the wires out, just unplug, remove the 6 screws holding the 2 mounting brackets in pull them off lights and all, no need to re-aim either!)

Damn I have to quit rambling so much!

bchcky said:
yeah, seems to me like an axe would be something better kept in the car. i think for liability issues to say the least. cause if its outside, and not locked, you could get in trouble for negligance, whereas if its inside, and someone had to break in your car to get it, and then caused damage with it, you're more than likely in the clear. unless of course you drive a cj/yj/tj with no top, then you're screwed either way :wink:

TJ, no top, no doors! :shock:

bchcky said:
Montclaire said:
There's a guy around here with a shovel bungee-strapped to his front bumper.
:roll: :roll:

I can match that ........

I was down in Southern Oregon a while back and saw a wooden swing out tire carrier on a rat box TJ, obviously fashioned from the pile of wood behind the shed. (and it may not have swung out, could have been just a "A" frame, was not too close to it)

That damn thing was bowing backwards from the weght of what must have been a 33" at least.......... I would say the angle backwards off the bumper was that of the front windshield.

RE: Jeepz.com videos

I've got a couple of shovel/ax mounting racks that were used on the backs of military Hummers. Only problem with them is that they originally mounted right behind the back bumper where most of our gas tanks are. Plus, if you did put it there somehow it would be a clearance issue and not to mention how would you get to them if you were stuck? If anyone would like one I can send it to you and you can fiddle around with it and come up with a better location.

I need a chainsaw mount of some sort. Got any suggestions? I hate to have a chainsaw bouncing around in the back. I need something the will mount it vertically by the bar, like a holster.

RE: Re: RE: Jeepz.com videos

redrooster said:
I need a chainsaw mount of some sort. Got any suggestions? I hate to have a chainsaw bouncing around in the back. I need something the will mount it vertically by the bar, like a holster.

Wow, something I may know something about!

Look into a bucket truck chainsaw scabbard.

https://www.treecaresupplies.com/images/large/pr-f-5010.jpg

http://www.americansafety.com/uploads/products/24-14a.jpg

They come in different forms, but its nothing more than a giant sheath made of fiberglass. Mounting could be tricky on roll bars though as they are meant to drape over the side of the bucket and just screw down.

You a tree guy too Red?

Actually, now that I think of it Red, that scabbard "should" actually slide over the top lip of the tailgate. You could then add a few screws to it in order to keep it from slamming back and forth.

Damn, now you got me thinking I need to mount a mid size Stihl in the back of my rig!!

Re: RE: A Gadget Moment

I used the windshield mounts for a while. And yes, I used quick connects so I could unplug them easily. Did not get much glare, but they did obstruct a decent amount of vision. Enough that I got to a point that I just wanted them off the rig. Didn't use them enough to justify leaving them on.

redrooster said:

Deltec zip ties. Strong as hell and EZ:
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Screw either of the metal tabs in the first pic to your plastic case, then use the ties to mount it ti your rollbar.

This or something like it should work Red.

Well I mounted those Quick Fist mounts!

I was going to replace the third brake light tower with a custom fabbed steel one, but got to antsy and deciced to go ahead and mount the axe and shovel right to the original plastic one.
With enough backing (bumper wahsers) and some stainless steel bolts, those bad boys are on there solid! And I get to keep the third brake light, which I could really care less about!

I will post some pics in the next few days.

To let ya'll know these seem like they are going to hold up nicely. If you are looking into them for a High Lift though, ABSOLUTELY buy two sets (4 clamps) and use at least three of them.

Switching from synthetic oil back to regular?

TwistedCopper said:
redrooster said:

Deltec zip ties. Strong as hell and EZ:
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Screw either of the metal tabs in the first pic to your plastic case, then use the ties to mount it ti your rollbar.

This or something like it should work Red.

Do you have to cut them off everytime you need to access the item, or do they have some sort of release?

Back