cheap tj vs cheaper yj daily driver/lower car payments cheaper repair help

collestat

I'm 31, unmarried guy. In highschool and college I started with a 92 S10 2 door blazer then moved to a 95 Grand Cherokee 5.2 AWD. I beat on both bad put about a 100K on the jeep and got rid of it about 4 or so years ago when the transmission started to fail. Since then I've owned a Mercedes CLK, Audi A4 and now Acura TL.

I love cars in general and have a lead foot only lately with cars I try avoid curbs where with 4x4's I didn't care where I was and would drive anywhere and everywhere.

I've always wanted a wranger and now find myself on disability (shoulder surgery) and lost my job (company too small for FMLA) and my payments on the TL are $420's. looked into doing a refi but being negative on the car it would cost me $2k up front and my payments would only drop about $50/month. I'm thinking now might be a good time to get into a wrangler. I'm looking in the $3k - 10k range figure I can spend the same as the refi but have drastically lower monthly payment. not sure how many miles is acceptable. currently in the Chicago area but thinking about moving to Texas when rehab is done.

Unfortunately because I have a trade I have to go through a dealer.

I've seen a 95 YJ lifted, newer 31" tires/new wheels appears to have newer interior/console with 125K for $5K. I've also seen TJ's from 97 - 2003 in the 7 - 10K price range with varying miles (60k - 150k). I'm curious what would make a better daily driver and also what is going to be more reliable and what would have cheaper repair costs?(i'm not mechanically inclined) I'm mostly going to be on road but I'm infatuated with the idea of just leaving a bikini top or soft top on the jeep in the summer and literally setting it up so I can leave it open (no doors/windows) all the time without having to worry about it. I don't want to spend a fortune because I'd be worried about someone messing with it i.e. being not locked up which is why I thought maybe a YJ with a heavy duty lockable center console or hidden trunk but would a cheap TJ be a better bet?

Sorry for the length?

For you, I would say a nice TJ would suit you well. They would make a better driver than a leaf sprung YJ, but some people don't mind the leaves.

I think you can take the carpet out of Wranglers. I didn't have the carpet or top on my CJ all summer and loved it! If you drive fast, the rain doesn't get in as much. :shades:

Back