Check engine again!?!?!?!?!

wstall77

Hello everyone,
I am new to Jeepz:) I have a 96xj that only has 1 problem, code 43!!! I bought this jeep knowing the engine was bad, so i had it rebuilt. Everything is new, from top to bottom. The only time the check engine light will come on is during acceleration under a load (i.e. going uphill right before the trans kick down) During normal operation its fine, and no problems at full throttle. This is driving me CRAZY!!!:crazy: I thought i would check to see if anyone here had any solutions before paying someone to tell me some bs.My xj has a I6, 30 over. I have checked/changed everything i can think of and still the light!! Is there something that needs to be done to the computer since the engine is not stock any more?? Or should i just jab a screwdriver in the light!!! can anyone help??? Thanks

Thanks for the direction. The injectors r new and my I6 distributor is not adjustable, but i will check the knock sensor wiring tomorrow. I guess i should talk with the company that built my motor about the valve springs and see if they can check them. Thanks :) :)

Thanks for lookin n to it for me, but the coil is also one of the many new parts that was replaced with the motor. Along with the wires,plugs,cap,rotor,O2 sens x2, crank pos sens (broke it takin the motor out):? The injectors have been cleaned and no vacuum leaks, and the fuel pressure is great also. I just dont know what else to do..... I dont think this is a regular problem but thats my luck!!!!:confused: :confused:

Very puzzling.......:???: Does the light go out after normal driving?? Can you feel any kind of misfire in the engine? With a new rebuild and all the stuff you've replaced, it sure shouldn't have a misfire. Only doing it when accelerating under load sounds kinda like an O2 sensor issue (mixture?), but I'm by no means a mechanic.....just guessing. Have you had the codes cleared (other than the battery disconnect)? Try it (if you can do it for free) and see if it reoccurs.
I swear sometimes I think a BFH to the computer would solve all of our woes. Good luck and keep us posted.

It is driving me crazy!! One of my friends has a OBD-II and i have had it for about 2 weeks now. This is the only way i have cleared the codes. When the light comes on it stays til it is cleared. If you drive it normally, it runs just fine and if i'm getting on the interstate and put the petal on the floor no problems either (and you can tell its got a new motor cause it will haul a$$) but the OBD-II tells me it happens between 2500-3500 rpm at bout 45-50% load. The only time i can tell is when i'm going up a steep hill and i give it just a little more throttle right before the trans kick down. And it does misfire cause you can tell, i just don't know what else to check.:???: :???: And too my tags are gonna expire soon so it will have to be tested and i don't want it to fail!!!

Back once again... I talked to guy today that told me that my computer will have to be changed/modified since the engine was bored. Does anyone know if this has any truth to it or was he just feeding me some bs??? I thought the sensors do all the work and just give the info to the cpu??

If you bored the engine the fuel mixture could be off. You are probably to lean under acceleration. A larger fuel injector may be needed or a stage two chip to increase injector duration.

It is driving me crazy!! One of my friends has a OBD-II and i have had it for about 2 weeks now. This is the only way i have cleared the codes. When the light comes on it stays til it is cleared. If you drive it normally, it runs just fine and if i'm getting on the interstate and put the petal on the floor no problems either (and you can tell its got a new motor cause it will haul a$$) but the OBD-II tells me it happens between 2500-3500 rpm at bout 45-50% load. The only time i can tell is when i'm going up a steep hill and i give it just a little more throttle right before the trans kick down. And it does misfire cause you can tell, i just don't know what else to check.:???: :???: And too my tags are gonna expire soon so it will have to be tested and i don't want it to fail!!!

there is more than one way for it to potentially be experiencing a lean condition, you may have to simply put a different set of injectors, or fuel pump and or fuel pressure regulator. right now i would start by testing the fuel pump pressure,

My fuel pressure is normal according to specs. I will do some research on different injectors. This would make sense though, even with the old engine i didn't have this problem. Thanks :)

Hello everyone,
I am new to Jeepz:) I have a 96xj that only has 1 problem

A 96 and only one problem? That's doing good, bud!!!:lol:

BTW, Welcome to Jeepz!! As you can see, we've got a lot of great gearheads here that can help you out. Pretty diverse group, too, so you'll get a lot of different angles to help you on pretty much any problem you've got. I'm not one of them, though.:-| I can tell you how to change your plugs and oil, and put air in your tires, though!!8)

Try a set of 19lb. Ford injectors from a mid '90s Crown Vic or Mustang v8. They have 4 fuel orifices instead of your jeep's one.

Thanks guys for all your help. I will look for some ford injectors, and see what happens.:) I checked out lots of sites before joining here, but Sparky was right, tons of awesome knowledge here!!!Thanks Oh and I haven't checked prices on injectors but I assume they are not cheap, esp if I need 6!?!?!

Try a set of 19lb. Ford injectors from a mid '90s Crown Vic or Mustang v8. They have 4 fuel orifices instead of your jeep's one.
Is 19lbs enough?? I have done alot of reading on fuel injectors and I found a set by Accel that are reasonably priced, but I also found that some are using 21lb. Is there that much difference?? Are there any pros/cons to using a larger size? I don't mind payin extra if its REALLY worth it. Thanks for everyones help:)

No More Check Engine!!!!!!!

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The damn light is OFF!!!! And for two whole days!!! Turns out the distibutor was wore out and had too much play in it, Causing the rotor to miss the contact points! I guess thats why it was ok at full throttle,Everything tightened up!?!?!? I also installed a larger set of wires, I tested the others in the dark with a spray bottle full of water, they sparked everywhere!!!! This thing has never ran this great!!! Thanks to everyone!!!! 8) 8) Oh, and ford fuel injectors are AWESOME!!!!!!

Back