CJ 5 Questions

RHH

I have a friend who is looking at a 1971 cj 5

I dosent have a heater, I have seen an aftermarket heater on quadratecs web site, has anyone ever installed one? if so is there any way to add a defroster to it?

Also it has a factory V6, anyone have any good or bad input on that ?

[addsig]

I don't have any first hand experience with CJs that came with the Buick V6... but everything that I've read about that engine has been positive. Here's a link with a little info...

Dauntless V6

Sorry, I can't help with the heater/defroster question.[addsig]

Unless the price is very reasonable, tell you friend to keep shopping. Let me ask this. What does your friend plan to do with this 71' CJ-5? Does he/she plan on rebuilding it? Making it a "mudder"? A rock crawler? Simple trail runner?
The area he/she live in, is a heater a neccessarity? I've never installed one, (it can't be that hard) If the CJ-5 is gonna be a "play toy" and the price is right, and he/she doesn't have any problems with working on it, then he/she should get it.
On the otherhand, if a heater is needed in his/her area, could be more work than that person is wanting to do. In that case, your friend should keep looking.
As far as the V6, the Dauntless was a good motor. Sounds like a tractor though.

[addsig]

Did the 71 come with a heater? I've got a 76 cj7 and my heater basically comes straight off of the engine. Check to make sure that this is not the way that it is set up. All I have is a pull knob that lets the heat come in but there is a fan there. Is that what is missing? The fan?[addsig]

Heater ? Whatya need a stinkin' heater for ?!?!?!?!?!

1971....That's 32 years old....I would advise against this rig for your daily driver.
I would however advise it for your weekend rock toy.

Remember the 5 is the one with the short wheelbase which gets squerrly at high speed when emergency manuvers are called for.

Hell, my 7 gets loose too. If a 5 is worse, I'd think twice about driving it daily down the superslab.

Buy it for a rock toy & buy yourself a nice '91 Taurus for your daily ride fully equipped with airbags & 4 wheel antilocks for doing daily battle between the white lines

~hope this helps~
[addsig]

i drive my 5 daily, but i also dont drive but about 20 miles a day in that car... the 71 should be a little longer than a 70 cj5 by about 3 inches in wheelbase.... if he a overweight, or ocer 5'11' i would advise against it... im 5'10" 130 and have trouble getting in my jeep...the dauntlass engine is roumered to be very good, like a 258 with the torque coming at a very low rpm.... if the price is right, and there isnt much cancer i would tell him to go for it[addsig]

Speaking of the cool factor there is none cooler than the CJ5. I love em, I can't fit in em but they are the stuff. If we were out for confort and ez to drive we would all be in Lincolns rather than Jeeps. lol! But the facts remains we are Jeepers and no mater the confort level we ride in style heat or just alot of clothes! Tug[addsig]

Back